RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photoshop Workstation Build

I am all for SSD drives for the boot drive. I am using an OCZ Vertex 2 for my boot drive in my Main PC and HTPC. Best single upgrade I have made in a long time. My computer boots up from a cold start in less than 30 seconds from the time I press power to the time I am at my homescreen. I have had no issues with reliability at all...just make sure you are using with Windows 7 which takes advantage of the Trim command...Windows XP doesn't and performance will suffer. Also turn off defragmantation of the SSD drive...it isn't needed and will wear down the mempry in the drive over time.

Tim

Windows 7 will take care of these things automatically.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• PCEddie

• JediTim

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I am all for SSD drives for the boot drive. I am using an OCZ Vertex 2 for my boot drive in my Main PC and HTPC. Best single upgrade I have made in a long time. My computer boots up from a cold start in less than 30 seconds from the time I press power to the time I am at my homescreen. I have had no issues with reliability at all...just make sure you are using with Windows 7 which takes advantage of the Trim command...Windows XP doesn't and performance will suffer. Also turn off defragmantation of the SSD drive...it isn't needed and will wear down the mempry in the drive over time.

Tim

I have two of the same drives and highly recommend them for the OS.

Windows 7 will take care of these things automatically.

Yes...it is built into the operating system. If you are using Windows XP or even Vista you need a "garbage collection" program from the manufacture to keep the drive in top shape.

Guess that would be a good pole...what operating system is everyone using. I have Windows 7 on all my computers...anyone that has TechNet should as well.

• 3 months later...

A followup to the build. All is well. The computer runs very quite which was one of my client's request. Thanks again PC Doc for the great recommendations on the motherboard. It is beautiful and rock solid. My client who I built the computer for has upgraded to Adobe CS5 and all his Adobe applications run better. He was experiencing sporadic computer freezes which require a reboot prior to upgrading to CS5.

I tried to check the Amazon wishlist you had a link to but it didn't work...what Video Card did you go with. I would need a new card for Photoshop / Lightroom editing and would like your opinion.

For this build, I used MSI ATI Radeon 2GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2x Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card R6950 Twin Frozr II.

no need for you to apologize; the manufacturers should be made to write it out by hand 1,000 times; bet they shorten it up real quick :)

Edited by ikon