RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photoshop Workstation Build

PCEddie

Hey All,

Thanks for everyone who posted their opinions and suggestions. I have read and looked into everyone's suggestions. To add more information to my post, I have a budget of $2000 which will include my labor, two 24 inch monitors, and the computer. Unfortunately upgrading to from CS3 to CS5 is on the back burner. I have finished setting him up with a WHS 2011 that is backing up 6 computers (this build will be computer 7). He will use his MS TechNet subscription to test Windows 7 Pro on this build.

Does anyone have any recommendations on 24 inch monitors? If so, I am all ears (eyes).

Below is my updated Wish List for the Photoshop Build. What do you all think?

Thanks again for the input.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PCEddie

• ikon

• JediTim

Hey All,

Thanks for everyone who posted their opinions and suggestions. I have read and looked into everyone's suggestions. To add more information to my post, I have a budget of $2000 which will include my labor, two 24 inch monitors, and the computer. Unfortunately upgrading to from CS3 to CS5 is on the back burner. I have finished setting him up with a WHS 2011 that is backing up 6 computers (this build will be computer 7). He will use his MS TechNet subscription to test Windows 7 Pro on this build.

Does anyone have any recommendations on 24 inch monitors? If so, I am all ears (eyes).

My main recommendation to anyone doing photo/graphic work on computers is to get IPS monitors. The Dell Ultrasharps are good. There are higher end monitors but they cost a LOT more.

My main recommendation to anyone doing photo/graphic work on computers is to get IPS monitors. The Dell Ultrasharps are good. There are higher end monitors but they cost a LOT more.

I agree completely on the IPS monitor...you or your customer won't regret. I wish I had the room for two 24" monitors.

Hey All,

Slightly better..... :) I still think the P67 board is a better choice. Z68 is still pretty new and if you do not need the features why spend his money on it? I also still feel the nvidia GPU would be a better solution long term. and the PSU is overpowered again kind of a waste of budget that could be used elsewhere. I'm being highly critical here though( you asked right ;) )

For 24" monitors I agree high end IPS is the way to go. Dell U2410, HP ZR24w, NEC 2490, Apple LED Cinema. I'm also hearing good things about the Doublesight 245v and its a bit cheaper. I dells exclusively since I have a supplier and get them heavily discounted.

Slightly better..... :) I still think the P67 board is a better choice. Z68 is still pretty new and if you do not need the features why spend his money on it? I also still feel the nvidia GPU would be a better solution long term. and the PSU is overpowered again kind of a waste of budget that could be used elsewhere. I'm being highly critical here though( you asked right ;) )

For 24" monitors I agree high end IPS is the way to go. Dell U2410, HP ZR24w, NEC 2490, Apple LED Cinema. I'm also hearing good things about the Doublesight 245v and its a bit cheaper. I dells exclusively since I have a supplier and get them heavily discounted.

I doubt they would fit into the budget, but if you really wanted high end you could look at Eizo or LaCie monitors, but they're pricey.

Hey All,

I have completed my final Photoshop build. Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. Since I had a $2000 budget which included my labor, I could not use some of your suggestions.

If I have missed anything, please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Hey All,

I have completed my final Photoshop build. Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. Since I had a $2000 budget which included my labor, I could not use some of your suggestions.

If I have missed anything, please let me know.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The system build looks awesome. Having two 24 inch panels (one of each), I agree with ikon and no-control. If this if for graphics, it really should be an IPS. Better to get one IPS than two of standard panels. The color difference is huge. For general purpose, it would be OK but for photos, it will be tough.

Good Morning,

An update on the workstation build. I have ordered the parts and they are sitting behind me. I will start putting it together tomorrow. The person who I am building the computer for has asked me to look into solid state drives. A friend of his told him about his solid state drive that was added to his Macbook and the fast boot and access times. I have been doing some research on solid state drives but torn with reliability vs speed. For those that are using solid state drives, what is your experience with reliability and speed?

He has shown interest in 256 GB solid state drives. I have found that Crucial Technology 256 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1has good reviews.

I appreciate any feedback and opinions.

Good Morning,

An update on the workstation build. I have ordered the parts and they are sitting behind me. I will start putting it together tomorrow. The person who I am building the computer for has asked me to look into solid state drives. A friend of his told him about his solid state drive that was added to his Macbook and the fast boot and access times. I have been doing some research on solid state drives but torn with reliability vs speed. For those that are using solid state drives, what is your experience with reliability and speed?

He has shown interest in 256 GB solid state drives. I have found that Crucial Technology 256 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC256MAG-1G1has good reviews.

I appreciate any feedback and opinions.

I am all for SSD drives for the boot drive. I am using an OCZ Vertex 2 for my boot drive in my Main PC and HTPC. Best single upgrade I have made in a long time. My computer boots up from a cold start in less than 30 seconds from the time I press power to the time I am at my homescreen. I have had no issues with reliability at all...just make sure you are using with Windows 7 which takes advantage of the Trim command...Windows XP doesn't and performance will suffer. Also turn off defragmantation of the SSD drive...it isn't needed and will wear down the mempry in the drive over time.

Tim