RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Photoshop Workstation Build

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am in the process of spec`ing out a PC build for a client and would love the forum's input on the choice of hardware. This workstation will be primary used to run Adobe CS3 Suite to design graphics. The OS is Windows 7 Pro. I will be looking for two 24 inch monitors to go with this build, any suggestions?

Photoshop Workstation Wish List

Thanks for your feedback,

PC Eddie

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• PCEddie

• JediTim

Hey All,

I am in the process of spec`ing out a PC build for a client and would love the forum's input on the choice of hardware. This workstation will be primary used to run Adobe CS3 Suite to design graphics. The OS is Windows 7 Pro. I will be looking for two 24 inch monitors to go with this build, any suggestions?

Photoshop Workstation Wish List

Thanks for your feedback,

PC Eddie

Lots of comments. First I would not go at all with an X58 if you are buying new. Go with a 2600k sandy bridge and P67/Z68 board as it is actually faster and get 16 gig of corsair or gskill DDR3. YOu will not need the high performance memeory as sandy bridge handles memory differently. In the end you will save money and end with a faster system. I would go with the 6950 instead of the 6870 (less power and hear, same performnace). Just my two cents.

PCDoc

Not to disagree per-say but a different opinion, I would spend the money on upgrading to CS4 (or 5) and a really good Video Card, as both CS4 and CS5 will both use the processing power of the video card, and smoke any Processor you can put on the MB not to say I would not get a good MB and Processor, just dont spend all you money on a good processor/MB combo and expect the world.

A 300$ Video Card with Dual DVI outputs and a fast SSD will make a much better and noticeable upgrade then a good MB and Processor.

I personally am Running an i7 (800 series) w/ a Nvidia 560TI and 2 20" monitors, and dual Intel SSD's in RAID Ø with a WD Cavier Black 2Tb for mass storage.

I have never choked CS4!

Guest no-control

I somewhat agree.....but you didn't really state a budget nor if the client would be willing to upgrade his software. at this point I'll assume ~$1200 and will not upgrade to CS4/5

I would go with 2600k/P67, 16gb RAM, & 2x 2TB in RAID0, and an nVidia card so if he upgrades software in the future he'll also get a performance boost.

This would be my choice

Cost = $1265

Only $86 more than what you had (basically the cost of the second 2TB drive)

I agree with upgrading the software...it wouldn't be the full price as he would only need an upgrade versus buying the full version. I am using Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3 on a Quad Q9550 w/ 8GB of memory and have yet to over tax they system. I'm not doing any design graphis so I may not be a direct compariosn though.

I agree with most of what the others have said Here's my list:

i7-2600K

AMD 6970 video card preferably, 6950 at the least

16GB of Corsair RAM.

A Gigabyte P67 mobo

Two 2TB WD RE4-AV drives in RAID0 for data

One SSD for OS/boot drive

Definitely upgrade to CS5

Use an Arctic Cooling case fan instead of the Antec.

Use an Arctic Cooling CPU cooler

And, finally, get the Arctic Cooling 3-fan GPU cooler. I have one and it is AWESOME. IMG_2797a.jpg

The way we're all contributing our 2 cents, pretty soon you'll be able to buy a coffee :)

Edited by ikon

I agree with most of what the others have said Here's my list:

i7-2600K

AMD 6970 video card preferably, 6950 at the least

16GB of Corsair RAM.

A Gigabyte P67 mobo

Two 2TB WD RE4-AV drives in RAID0 for data

One SSD for OS/boot drive

Definitely upgrade to CS5

Use an Arctic Cooling case fan instead of the Antec.

Use an Arctic Cooling CPU cooler

And, finally, get the Arctic Cooling 3-fan GPU cooler. I have one and it is AWESOME. IMG_2797a.jpg

The way we're all contributing our 2 cents, pretty soon you'll be able to buy a coffee :)

I assume you are you backing up the Raid0 to the WHS? Wouldn't want to lose the photos to a failed drive in the array.

Or you can just backup locally to the 'spinning disc' media in the machine. That what I do (not that I dont backup to the WHS box also) I keep a copy of the Win7 backup that I generate from the OS on the 2TB WD Black in my machine, there is not to much to go wrong with SSD, but I sometimes hose down OS Drives in general.

Also I would not suggest the Sandy Bridge 'K' part that other have suggested, you said it was/is for a client, dont over-clock, so there for no need for the K part. So people see an over clocked part as you trying to get over on them by using cheap parts and stretching what they can do, also you want rock solid for a customer build, I would not get anything but reference parts and no over clock.

Guest no-control

I suggested the 2600k as it is on sale more frequently and actually cheaper than the non k parts. Also having a K chip doesn't mean you have to OC it. It'll be just as rock solid as a non K. It also offers better flexibility in the system.

Since this is for a business I just assumed PCEddie was the IT guy and already had a backup solution in place.(Server/NAS). With data not located on the local machine a simple disk image before turning it over to the client is about all the BMP you need. Anything more than that is a service call.

@ PCEddie

I would try to steer the client towards upgrading the software.

I assume you are you backing up the Raid0 to the WHS? Wouldn't want to lose the photos to a failed drive in the array.

Oh yeah, of course; there will actually be 4 copies of all data.

Mind you, I've never quite understand the paranoia about RAID0 vs a single drive. Whether it's a RAID0 or a single drive, if it fails the data is gone. AFAIK, the statistical probability of failure does not go up if you have 2 drives. I'm no stats expert by any means but I think it's like flipping a coin; each toss has a 50/50 chance of turning up heads or tails, no matter how many times it's flipped. Each coin flip is independant of the ones before & after. In the same way, each drive has a probability of premature failure, but it's not related or dependant on the other drive.

Is there a stats expert in the forums who can explain how I'm wrong?