RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Waking up and putting to sleep a PC

LegoTechMan

Sorry, I posted in this in the wrong place earlier.

Hey everyone, quick question...

Is there an Add-in (or any way) for WHS v1 to turn on a PC so that a backup can be run and turn it off when it is done. Or even if the PC can be turned off after the backup is complete that would be fine too.

I know that there are Add-ins that can turn on a PC remotely, but I haven't quite seen exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks,

John

Lights Out should do exactly what you need.

That is the first Add-in that I looked at, but it looks like it is just to power on and off the server. I don't want that. I want to be able to control client machines. According to the description there is nothing about that functionality.

Am I missing something?

That is the first Add-in that I looked at, but it looks like it is just to power on and off the server. I don't want that. I want to be able to control client machines. According to the description there is nothing about that functionality.

Am I missing something?

Not that I can see. I, too, can't really see a reason for this addin; I want my WHS up and ready at all times. It's only an atom processor atm; hardly uses any power.

you might try setting up scheduled tasks (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Scheduled Tasks) on the machines you want to wakeup and sleep. I did that once on a media center pc that I had running at one point.

jvk

Edited by jvk

you might try setting up scheduled tasks (Control Panel > Admin Tools > Scheduled Tasks) on the machines you want to wakeup and sleep. I did that once on a media center pc that I had running at one point.

jvk

You can wake up a sleeping computer using a ST?

Yikes, just noticed we have 2 threads running with the same title.

I know...I posted it to the other place and realized that it should have been in this subcategory so I posted it again. I guess I shouldn't have done that. If I could have deleted the other post I would of...

You can wake up a sleeping computer using a ST?

I miss spoke, sorry. This technique only works to put the computer to sleep. By the way, If you are waking or sleeping for the purpose of backing up a PC, I think that feature is already built into WHS.

jvk

AVK is correct.

If you set up sleep on your clients correctly you can select "wake this computer for back-up" from the Dashboard and the client will wake for backup and go back to sleep within the time specified on the client.