RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID 1 on GB Board

awraynor

Spanning adds two disks together and writes to the first disk until it is full. Once it is full it writes to the second disk. So the total drive size is the total of the two disks. No performance gains for read or writes when spanning disks.

I am a little surprised with this. I can't think of any reason to use software raid on a server?

I was only talking mirroring as I thought that is what he wanted to do. Mirroring works well from withing windows but not spanning or raid 5. Sorry about the confusion. I am using the built in disk manager to mirror the OS on my server and it works pretty well if you need the raid controller for something else. Rapid storage is another option. The BIOS works great I was just stating that with disc manager, you can create and remove a mirror at any time and it is pretty painless.

So spanning isn't what I want. My goal is to mirror the OS drive to the

2nd identical drive as in Raid 1.

No, you want mirroring (duplication). Spanning will be JBOD or Stripe. On the OS at least on WHS, you want mirroring.

The easiest way to do a mirror OS is to install one 500gb drive into the system - install WHS2011 - add the second drive - go to disk manager and tell drive 2 to mirror drive 1 (mirror works well on the software level)

The other option like myself and many have done was to purchase the icy dock - install the 2 laptop drives into the dock - set the icydock to mirror - install OS (this option only uses one Sata port)

Or you can use the on board raid to create your mirror as suggested above.

Good Luck with the Raid Fun!

Raid, ugh! Think I will purchase the IcyDock solution, it seems so easy I could do it.

Thanks yet again.