RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID 1 on GB Board

awraynor

I am trying to repurpose my v1 box to a new WHS 2011 install.

What I would like to do is use my two 500GB notebook drives as

OS drives in raid 1 and the remaining 5GB of green drives as data drives without RAID.

I am completely ignorant as far as RAID goes. In my current setup can

I have RAID and non-RAID drives? I see the RAID option in the BIOS, but

will this make all drives operate in a RAID?

What is the best way to make this work with what I have?

Yes to your question. I have the same variant of that board and you turn on RAID in the bios. After post the RAID bios will load and you enter by CTRL-I or something like that and add drives to the array and format them. Other drives on the system will continue to function as normal. Perhaps the BYOB guys have a more in depth explanation but that is how I have been running my Gigabyte USB3 board.

Another thing you could do is use the JMicron ports on the board for RAID and leave the rest of the ports for normal operation. Look at the manual for the right SATA ports on the board but looking at the photo it's probably the two white ones.

Yes to your question. I have the same variant of that board and you turn on RAID in the bios. After post the RAID bios will load and you enter by CTRL-I or something like that and add drives to the array and format them. Other drives on the system will continue to function as normal. Perhaps the BYOB guys have a more in depth explanation but that is how I have been running my Gigabyte USB3 board.

Another thing you could do is use the JMicron ports on the board for RAID and leave the rest of the ports for normal operation. Look at the manual for the right SATA ports on the board but looking at the photo it's probably the two white ones.

Exactly. Most boards have 2 SATA controllers; the Intel one that comes with the chipset, and a 2nd one, like a Marvell. Often, one or both can be used for RAID.

Edited by ikon

[@homeservershow

I read your post and was envious of the IcyDock drive insert.

So I:

1. enable RAID in the bios, with the 2 500GB drives in raid1 as OS drives

2. All data drives to the other ports, that will not be raid so keeping their full capacity as data backup?

Thanks for the clarification.

I saw the ability to do drive spanning in disc management, how do the two differ?

Edited by awraynor

[@homeservershow

So I:

2. All data drives to the other ports, that will not be raid so keeping their full capacity as data backup?

I saw the ability to do drive spanning in disc management, how do the two differ?

That will work or you can skip the BIOS and just do it from the disk manager in WHS 2011

@PC Doc.

At the moment I have the 2 500GB drives installed without the data drives.

After installing go to disk manager and use the spanning option for the 2 drives,

before I install the data drives?

[@homeservershow

So I:

Spanning adds two disks together and writes to the first disk until it is full. Once it is full it writes to the second disk. So the total drive size is the total of the two disks. No performance gains for read or writes when spanning disks.

That will work or you can skip the BIOS and just do it from the disk manager in WHS 2011

I am a little surprised with this. I can't think of any reason to use software raid on a server?

So spanning isn't what I want. My goal is to mirror the OS drive to the

2nd identical drive as in Raid 1.

To my knowledge, the only option is to use raid 1 then. That is what I used for my OS on my s2008r2 box.

Correct.....you want to construct a RAID 1 mirror of the two drives. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology tool can be used also.