RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Stablebit Drivepool

Is there no longer any interest in this add-in? I'm looking for feedback on how well it's working; if people are seriously considering using it.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• pcdoc

• ikon

• JediTim

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we just talk about this on 138? I thought it worked pretty decent. it's the better looking of the three but I guess that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work. Still needs work but I liked it. I thought it was easier to use than Drive Bender. Simple, understandable. Never did a speed test but will later.

Honestly, until they release a version 1 upon the public all we can do is watch and wait. Let's just hope their release to us is not a beta in itself as most software is these days.

Have you tried Stablebit? What did you think?

Didn't we just talk about this on 138? I thought it worked pretty decent. it's the better looking of the three but I guess that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work. Still needs work but I liked it. I thought it was easier to use than Drive Bender. Simple, understandable. Never did a speed test but will later.

Honestly, until they release a version 1 upon the public all we can do is watch and wait. Let's just hope their release to us is not a beta in itself as most software is these days.

Have you tried Stablebit? What did you think?

I haven't had a chance to listen to 138 yet.

I haven't yet tried Drivepool. I may install it soon and give it a speed trial. If/when I do, I'll post an ATTO result.

Now that I have my WHS 2011 built and used Raid 5 for my videos I'm not sure if I will install a DE replacement.

Now that I have my WHS 2011 built and used Raid 5 for my videos I'm not sure if I will install a DE replacement.

What I use will depend on the performance of the various DE replacements; if none of them give me the performance I want, I won't use one at all.

Have you seen the DataCore review and speed tests? Maybe we need a section in here for just ATTO screenshots. List the drives, setup, mobo, cards, screenshot.

Have you seen the DataCore review and speed tests? Maybe we need a section in here for just ATTO screenshots. List the drives, setup, mobo, cards, screenshot.

I did listen to the podcast that had the datacore rep as a guest. It sounded very interesting and I will likely look at it too.

Not sure we need a special section just for ATTO, but maybe a subforum under each heading where it makes sense: e.g. have an ATTO subforum under Windows Home Server 2011, and maybe another one under the WHS builders forum.

BTW, I think it might be a tad confusing having Windows Home Server 2011 and WHS builders forums. If I'm building a new 2011 box, which one do I post under? Kinda belongs to both. Maybe the 2011 forum should be separate from the podcast forums altogether. How bout a podcast forum with both shows in it and another one for v1, 2011, virtualization, etc.

Actually, looking at the Datacore requirements i'm thinking it's not gonna be my answer. I would rather not be limited to having drives of the same size. And, pcdoc has indicated the read/write performance is not so good, to say the least. Let's hope the DriveBender/DrivePool performance is better and more flexible.

Have not tried stablebit yet but if datacore is an indication of performance of these addins, then my tests show we are in trouble. Write performance seems to be on par with 5400 rpm IDE drive and continual reads are OK but not great. I an not sure how we can compare this to a hardware solution so I believe that if performance is important then stay with hardware but if you are more comfortable with software solution then Datacore seems to work pretty well. Anyone benchmark the others?

If you built your server with RAID 5 then there is certainly no need for a DE replacement nor should you consider using one. I know datacore stated it will work with existing RAID solutions I see that as one too many layers.

Have not tried stablebit yet but if datacore is an indication of performance of these addins, then my tests show we are in trouble. Write performance seems to be on par with 5400 rpm IDE drive and continual reads are OK but not great. I an not sure how we can compare this to a hardware solution so I believe that if performance is important then stay with hardware but if you are more comfortable with software solution then Datacore seems to work pretty well. Anyone benchmark the others?

I have the same concerns about performance that you have. I am hoping to do some tests using the same 3 Maxtor drives I used to run the previous ATTO tests I posted. I'll post results when I have em.