RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can iCloud be a substitute for WHS?

jvk

Today Steve Jobs introduced iCloud at the WWDC and among the list of interesting features is something called Auto-Backup which will reportedly once a day "back up a lot of a user’s important content to the cloud over Wi-Fi." There is a 5GB space limit currently and i-tunes is in the cloud too. iCloud is compatible with iOS devices, Macs, and PCs. The question is, does this mark the end of the home server? In the future will you store your music, photos, documents in the cloud? Will our laptops, desktops, and other devices back themselves up to the cloud? How large will the storage limit need to be for you to consider this option?

jvk

Edited by jvk

Today Steve Jobs introduced iCloud at the WWDC and among the list of interesting features is something called Auto-Backup which will reportedly once a day "back up a lot of a user’s important content to the cloud over Wi-Fi." There is a 5GB space limit currently and i-tunes is in the cloud too. iCloud is compatible with iOS devices, Macs, and PCs. The question is, does this mark the end of the home server? In the future will you store your music, photos, documents in the cloud? Will our laptops, desktops, and other devices back themselves up to the cloud? How large will the storage limit need to be for you to consider this option?

jvk

I believe there will be a time when we are connects via the cloud but that time isn't close as far as I'm concerned. How many people do not have access to a high speed network for their storage not to mention bandwidth caps we are seeing from the providers. Will this work for some people...most definitely. Myself on the other hand thinks it will be at least several more years before I would consider my server athecend of its life cycle.

I have probably around 5Tb of storage needs between video (3.8Tb), photos and music. Not exactly ready for the cloud.

Tim

jvk

I second JediTim's comments, particularly regarding the bandwidth caps. And, I too have way too much data for a 5GB space. It might be useful for some data I want available everywhere, but I can get more than that already with Windows Live (or whatever it's called now).

I agree with all of the above. Was there mention of larger storage options?

I agree with all of the above. Was there mention of larger storage options?

Not sure if there is a larger storage option... 5gb seem pretty small, but it was mentioned that content purchased from the iTunes store would not be included in the 5gb count.

jkv

I was going to write some big thing, but ended up deleting it. For me, I don't own anything Apple (except for an iPod which has not been used since getting my Android phone) and don't plan to anywhere in the near future. For those that are in the Apple box already, this seems like the next step.

I was going to write some big thing, but ended up deleting it. For me, I don't own anything Apple (except for an iPod which has not been used since getting my Android phone) and don't plan to anywhere in the near future. For those that are in the Apple box already, this seems like the next step.

While I own both an iPod Touch and an iPad I don't consider myself an Apple person by any stretch of the imagination. I enjoy working with Windows computers and have build several computers (both Windows and WHS) over the past several years. The last computer I bought was a Gateway probably 10 years ago. My brother-in-law gave me a book on A+ Certification and I never looked back. Half the fun is building my computer in the first place...can't do that with Apple.

I would have bought an Android Tablet if they were any good...probably a year away from catching up with the iPad. I have a Droid X and it is leaps and bounds better that an iPhone.

I also saw the keynote today and believe that iCloud is probably the best consumer based cloud service however it is certainly no a subsistent for WHS but rather a supplement to it. Backups are mainly for the devices not for your PC and the amount of data is still an issue. This solidifies their lead in the race but in my opinion does not come close to replacing WHS. Good topic though

JediTim, funny thing is I have never purchased a PC. Every single one of them, I built. Laptop you might ask, well the only ones I use are the ones provided by work so I don't count those. So I am not part of the normal crowd and could be the reason I have no interest in Apple. Although I would love to run the OS as a VM just to test it. You think Apple would let me do that?