RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 138, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi Guys,

Wow, almost 2 hours long.

Three podcasters, three Add-Ins. We talk as in depth as we can get at this juncture about the three drive extender type add-ins for Windows Home Server 2011. Drive Harmony by DataCore, DriveBender, and StableBit. Lots of news to discuss and some interesting topics about transferring WHS backups from version 1 to 2011 and a discussion about hard drives. There is a crazy amount of discussion in this show. I apologize for it’s length but it was fun and I hope you enjoy it.

Sponsor: Protect your Home with ADT! Call 1-866-778-3127

Links and News Items mentioned on the show

Windows Home Server 2011 now available at Amazon and NewEgg

Exchange Defender for SBS

Serviio for WHS Serviio download

AutoExit 2009

Changing the workgroup name on WHS 2011

i-o data WHS

What hard drives are you buying?

Hitachi 2TB Sale

Can you transfer V1 backups to WHS 2011?

If you want to support this podcast please shop via our affiliate links.

What do you think of this weeks podcast ?

Dave, you were so wrong about contacting Ed Bott. If I didn't know any better you are a apple homer in disquise. Apple is the biggest baby out there about making fun of other companies or beating their own chest. Do you contact them when they are going over board (about every other week). MS doesn't say a word when they do something great so they need others out there to do it for them. If you don't like it, remove Ed from your feed. B)

Go ahead Ed, tweet all day long about how apple sucks. Heck, I may even get on twitter just to see your posts.

Great Show DieHard! Loved the long show -- I listend on my iTouch while doing yard work on Saturday -- it helped take my mind off of the 90+ temps outside!

Your F10 tip Got me to thinking that maybe there should be a centralized place in the Forums that we could go to and print off all the things we should know &/or a single page check-list for starting up WHS-2011.

The last HD that I bought was a WD20EADS for my EX487 but the EADS's are getting hard to find -- so I see that as another push towards migration to WHS-2011. I've looked at what I could do to upgrade my EX487 to get more life out of it (I love that box it's in -- wish there were replacement MB's) but have come to the realization that as it get's older the probability of some kind of failure will increase so anything I repurposed it too couldn't be mission critical.

One thing I've been wondering is that now that 3TB HD's are becoming more mainstream -- when will we see 4TB HD's? Even if the OS partitions it into 2TB partitions I would prefer to work with that instead of a 2TB & 1TB partition -- A 4TB with a 128 or 256MB cache, even if broken into 2 partitions, would be nice!

Looking forward to the 25th!

Edited by Joe_Miner

Dave, you were so wrong about contacting Ed Bott. If I didn't know any better you are a apple homer in disquise. Apple is the biggest baby out there about making fun of other companies or beating their own chest. Do you contact them when they are going over board (about every other week). MS doesn't say a word when they do something great so they need others out there to do it for them. If you don't like it, remove Ed from your feed. B)

Go ahead Ed, tweet all day long about how apple sucks. Heck, I may even get on twitter just to see your posts.

Understand before you post. It wasn't about Apple. It was about the fact that a great Microsoft journalist was spending too much time on crap and not what we follow him for. I'm also a fan of Chevy, Texas Football, Nascar, John Deere, etc. If their writers start dwelling on crap I'll tell them about it too. Don't call me a homer because of it. If 50% of my blog's last 10 posts are 180 degreees off topic then yeah, I would want someone to tell me to cut it out.

Homer, gimme a break. Don't troll me. I appreciate opinion but I despise trolls whether they are apple fanboys, linux fanboys, windows, or whatever. I don't care who is doing it. I don't like it. Disagree with me, cool. I can handle that but don't call me a homer.

Ok, after re-reading my rant i decided I'm a KeepVault homer! WHS home too. You can call me that and I won't be offended.