Poll: who has used/uses Home Groups

ikon

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever, or do you now, use Windows Home Groups

• I have never used Home Groups
    • I used Home Groups, but not in the past year
    • I used Home Groups within the past year, but not any more
    • I'm currently using Home Groups

In one forum (http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2470-saving-to-folder-issue-read-only/page__p__23998#entry23998), it was discovered that Home Groups are not compatible with whs2011 User Accounts. Funny thing is, no one noticed this before because none of us use Home Groups. So, the question is, who in these forums has or is using Home Groups. I think it will be fun to know the answer.

I have been using it for over a year with no real issues.

I have been running a Windows Home Server 2011 box, for 34 days, with three Windows 7 clients to see how it goes.

So far, So good.

Home Groups doesn't work well with the WHS2011 User Accounts.

It's a all or nothing type thing, where as with User Accounts, you want to specific folders to users or set read/write permissions.

What nice about Home Groups on WHS2011 is that you can set multiple folders to the same library. eg: E:\Videos + F:\Videos + G:\Videos to a Videos Home Group. So you only have to worry about sharing 1 Videos folder event though the folders are on multiple drive.

I inadvertently used Homegroup and found out it was preventing me from saving documents in my documents share on the WHS without giving permission to everyone on the Homegroup. I tried to work around the issue with giving the specific user the access from within WHS Users for Read/Write access to the folder and I kept getting the error message that I didn't have access to save to the folder. If I tried to open a file it would open in "Read Only".

Not sure if this is how this is supposed to work but I had planned on using Users anyway and was not planning on using Homegroups anyway...just made my decisn easier.

Tim

only 10 votes? C'mon guys, chime in.

With 70+ views...how difficult is it to vote once you read the thread???

OK, so roughly 45% have never used Home Groups, 40% used to use them, and 15% still use them.

Sadly 149 views and only 13 votes :(