RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ikon

Bandwidth Caps

ikon

For me, it would have to be a LAN app only; bandwidth caps is Canada are such that streaming video from inside my home is a no go. I only get 60GB/mo, and it's about $1.50/GB over that.

ADMIN NOTE: I split this off since it wasn't on topic for the thread it was in.

Edited by cskenney
Off topic of original thread

pcdoc

For me, it would have to be a LAN app only; bandwidth caps is Canada are such that streaming video from inside my home is a no go. I only get 60GB/mo, and it's about $1.50/GB over that.

Yeh, that is a problem. I was not really streaming with it anyway, it was mainly to remote in for mantenance. I fear caps are coming everywhere but I dread that day as my monthly bill will surely climb.

ikon

Yeh, that is a problem. I was not really streaming with it anyway, it was mainly to remote in for mantenance. I fear caps are coming everywhere but I dread that day as my monthly bill will surely climb.

What ticks me off is that the US and CDN gov'ts don't get it; they don't understand that permitting these caps is going to cripple our countries' ability to compete in the world market against countries like Korea, where everyone has at least 100 Mb and no caps. They still don't understand (or don't want to accept) that the internet is becoming the driving force behind world commerce, and will only become more so in the future.

jmwills

Not everyone in Korea has 100 Mbps internet speed. Not even close to it. The country average for SK Broadband is around 35 down and 25 up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1328073561.png

ikon

Not everyone in Korea has 100 Mbps internet speed. Not even close to it. The country average for SK Broadband is around 35 down and 25 up.

http://www.speedtest.../1328073561.png

Oh. My bad. I was remembering what someone else said. OTOH, gee, those poor, poor Koreans; only 35Mb down. I'm paying $60/mo and I only get 12Mb down, and 1Mb up. If I pay $100/mo I can get up to 2Mb/up. Whipee! Man, are we ripped off.

Edited by ikon

jmwills

Everywhere you go in this country, there is a wireless signal. You have to remember the infastructure here is quite newer than in the States and the country is very small so the task is actually wiring the country was not that difficult as compared to the US or Europe.

ikon

Everywhere you go in this country, there is a wireless signal. You have to remember the infastructure here is quite newer than in the States and the country is very small so the task is actually wiring the country was not that difficult as compared to the US or Europe.

Excuses, excuses. Most powerful country in the world can't compete with the world on internet access. Shameful!

jmwills

Write your Congress Person....

ikon

Write your Congress Person....

um, kinda hard; live in Canada, no congress person; want me to write yours? :)

jmwills

No need...my oldest son work for ours...;)