RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Protocol versions don't match

IsYet

I get the following error (found in the laptop event log) when I try to connect from one laptop to my WHS.

Event:

This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer MCKWHS uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established.

No connection method works - web browser, file explorer, WHS Console.

My WHS is an HP EX-495.

WHS Version 1.

Laptop is Windows 7 Professional. Up to date with system updates.

Connections from other PCs work ok.

Backups do work on the affected laptop.

This laptop used to work fine.

My troubles began when I let the battery on the machine completely run down. A power strip switch was turned off.

I had major problems after getting the system running again. It would lock up, no screen but a lot of disk and CPU activity (the fan was running hard). The only way to stop it was to turn it off at the switch.

I was able to narrow the issue down to the connector.

Uninstalled and re-installed the connector from the WHS software folder (copied to a USB stick).

The lockups went away but still won't connect.

I get the following error (found in the laptop event log) when I try to connect from one laptop to my WHS.

Event:

This computer uses protocol version 6.0.3436.0, but partner computer MCKWHS uses protocol version 6.0.2423.0. A connection cannot be established.

No connection method works - web browser, file explorer, WHS Console.

My WHS is an HP EX-495.

WHS Version 1.

Laptop is Windows 7 Professional. Up to date with system updates.

Connections from other PCs work ok.

Backups do work on the affected laptop.

This laptop used to work fine.

My troubles began when I let the battery on the machine completely run down. A power strip switch was turned off.

I had major problems after getting the system running again. It would lock up, no screen but a lot of disk and CPU activity (the fan was running hard). The only way to stop it was to turn it off at the switch.

I was able to narrow the issue down to the connector.

Uninstalled and re-installed the connector from the WHS software folder (copied to a USB stick).

The lockups went away but still won't connect.

Have you tried uninstalling the connector from the client PC and then re-installing it from http://mckwhs:55000, or can you not even browse to that page? I know I found that it's easy to get the wrong verisino of the connector if you don't use the web page. I believe Diehard knows where the one used on the web page is stored on the WHS. I do know it's stored on the C: drive, not in the shared Software folder on D:

Have you tried uninstalling the connector from the client PC and then re-installing it from http://mckwhs:55000, or can you not even browse to that page? I know I found that it's easy to get the wrong verisino of the connector if you don't use the web page. I believe Diehard knows where the one used on the web page is stored on the WHS. I do know it's stored on the C: drive, not in the shared Software folder on D:

I'll give that a shot.

Thanks.