RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System restore conundrum

hewisond

Hi all,

So, today I decided to upgrade My Movies on my WHS 2011 box to the latest version.. for some reason, every time i do this, my SQL install on my server does and I waste hours fixing it.. very annoying.

Anyway, at about 1.30am I cracked it (aussie for spitting the dummy) and decided to try a system disk restore... something i was trying to avoid as I expected it to takea few hours..

so, here's my build (more or less)

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 Mobo

Intel i3-540 CPU

8gig standard ram

650watt power

2x500gb RAID 1 System Drive

2x1TB Data

3x1.5TB Data

1x2TB Data

1x1TB External USB2 for archive stuff i rarely access, and

1x2TB Backup drive on a USB2 external housing.

While I'm here, can anyone knowledgeable on builds tell me if that's a decent build or if it needs work at all please?

Anyway, here's my conundrum:

I went to restore the system drive (system restore only) and it only took 10 minutes from start to finish, I checked if it worked afterwards, all seems good, my SQL was restored, ive updated MyMovies with no problems (first for everything) and she's as sound as a pound.. good news uh..

How can it restore so quickly? Especially given the backups are on an external drive.. any ideas? Don't get me wrong, im very happy with the performance, i'm just really interested in the technology behind it, so if anyone is technically savvy on this, i'd love to understand how it works..

Thanks! :)

Edited by hewisond

Hi all,

So, today I decided to upgrade My Movies on my WHS 2011 box to the latest version.. for some reason, every time i do this, my SQL install on my server does and I waste hours fixing it.. very annoying.

Anyway, at about 1.30am I cracked it (aussie for spitting the dummy) and decided to try a system disk restore... something i was trying to avoid as I expected it to takea few hours..

so, here's my build (more or less)

Gigabyte P55A-UD3 Mobo

Intel i3-540 CPU

8gig standard ram

650watt power

2x500gb RAID 1 System Drive

2x1TB Data

3x1.5TB Data

1x2TB Data

1x1TB External USB2 for archive stuff i rarely access, and

1x2TB Backup drive on a USB2 external housing.

While I'm here, can anyone knowledgeable on builds tell me if that's a decent build or if it needs work at all please?

Anyway, here's my conundrum:

I went to restore the system drive (system restore only) and it only took 10 minutes from start to finish, I checked if it worked afterwards, all seems good, my SQL was restored, ive updated MyMovies with no problems (first for everything) and she's as sound as a pound.. good news uh..

How can it restore so quickly? Especially given the backups are on an external drive.. any ideas? Don't get me wrong, im very happy with the performance, i'm just really interested in the technology behind it, so if anyone is technically savvy on this, i'd love to understand how it works..

Thanks! :)

10 mins is pretty quick but normal for WHS as it does not have a large footprint. The amount of data being restored was pretty small. The build is fine other than you are using a P55 which requires a discreet graphics card. Not a problem just an observation. Overall a good build and mirrors what I had before going the way of sandy bridge. You might want to loose some of the 500 gig drives in favor of faster 1-2T but other than that I would not change anything.

10 mins is pretty quick but normal for WHS as it does not have a large footprint. The amount of data being restored was pretty small. The build is fine other than you are using a P55 which requires a discreet graphics card. Not a problem just an observation. Overall a good build and mirrors what I had before going the way of sandy bridge. You might want to loose some of the 500 gig drives in favor of faster 1-2T but other than that I would not change anything.

Ditto.

Only 10 min. to restore a 2011 server? That's fantastic!

I believe that the restore process is from a VHD image and it's copied back in large clusters unlike when your copying file by file.

When I restore my heavily modified WHS v1 build using Acronis it takes about 3 minutes. If I have to manually install everything, it would take at least 10 hours.

Backing up and Restoring the WHS2011 image has been a welcome addition to Windows Home Server.

I believe that the restore process is from a VHD image and it's copied back in large clusters unlike when your copying file by file.

When I restore my heavily modified WHS v1 build using Acronis it takes about 3 minutes. If I have to manually install everything, it would take at least 10 hours.

Backing up and Restoring the WHS2011 image has been a welcome addition to Windows Home Server.

I have never been able to do a server recovery on my whsV1; always had to do a full install. It was in these forums I learned that you have to uninstall the connector from the client PC before trying to do a server recovery. But, since learning that, I've had no need to do either to the server :)

Edited by ikon

I know.. Hence I'm suspicious that its playing tricks on me. Still.. it does seem to be restored to the right image.. weird.

OK that would explain the speed... that makes sense.. Man that's impressive!

It's only the system drive - not the whole thing...

Thanks PCDoc, That's welcome news.

You're right regarding the gpu - i forgot to mention it as it's only used if i have a monitor plugged in.. like say.. last night... (grr)...

I'll take your advice re the 500gig drives.. i wanted a raid 1 set up for the sys drive, and they were lying around so i used them... that said they take up space that an icydock should be..

I changed over from version 1 to 2011 and used my current drives so there was limited planning in regards to drives.. I will replace those drives with 2T, get rid of the 500's and replace with the icydock.. then consider other raid options i think.

I should have considered this before I moved to 2011.. but all good.

Thanks again! :)

Love the show by the way!

I forgot to ask - has the sandybridge made a significant difference?

It's only the system drive - not the whole thing...

I did figure that, but still, 10 min. to a system drive restore is great in my book.

Edited by ikon

I did figure that, but still, 10 min. to a system drive restore is great in my book.

It is pretty awesome hey... Good piece of mind too. The process was painless.