RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TV Archive fails

ZA_Tigger

Hi Guys,

My Archive service keeps failing and everytime I select the menu item in windows MCE it says that the service has stopped and no content is every transferred to the homeserver.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Ok I have tried everything now, from registry edits to resinstalling power pack 3 etc.., it seems from doing alot of research that it has something todo with the recorded tv folder on the homeserver and the permissions. I recently rebuilt the MCE box and so the recorded tv folder was there from my previous installations (on the homeserver). So when the transfer service on the MCE machines tries to write to the directory it fails which causes the whole service to crash.

Anybody have some more advice it would be great

Thanks

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So after many moons I have sorted this out and I now understand why not many of you have come across this problem. So this will only happen in the following conditions:

1. When you have a media center pc backed up properly.

2. You reinstall the Media Center (not restore) and have a brand new installation but under the exact same name. My Media Center config is complex and takes long to setup so I dont want to loose a fallback restore option.

3. You then add the new media center again to Windows Home Server. (So you would have the old one called MediaCenter-PC and the new one called MediaCenter-PC)

4. Windows HomeServer then creates a user called MediaCenter-PC1 as MediaCenter-PC already exists. (this is a bug sortoff, not sure how MS would handle this, unless they prevent you from adding two machines with the same name)

5. And then after successful backup of the new MediaCenter-PC I deleted the original MediaCenter-PC backups from the HomeServer.

I am then left with a MediaCenter-PC1 user and a MediaCenter-PC system which homeserver then doesn't tie up when the TV Archive process tries to copy the recorded tv.

See HomeServer uses groups to give access to the folders and in the group for RW access to Recorded_TV you now have this MediaCenter-PC1 which means nothing.

So 3 possible solutions: 1. delete both MediaCenter-PC's off Windows HomeServer and reinstall the connector on the new MediaCenter or just add everyone to Recorded TV RW group or never name your installs the same name.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi,

So after many moons I have sorted this out and I now understand why not many of you have come across this problem. So this will only happen in the following conditions:

1. When you have a media center pc backed up properly.

2. You reinstall the Media Center (not restore) and have a brand new installation but under the exact same name. My Media Center config is complex and takes long to setup so I dont want to loose a fallback restore option.

3. You then add the new media center again to Windows Home Server. (So you would have the old one called MediaCenter-PC and the new one called MediaCenter-PC)

4. Windows HomeServer then creates a user called MediaCenter-PC1 as MediaCenter-PC already exists. (this is a bug sortoff, not sure how MS would handle this, unless they prevent you from adding two machines with the same name)

5. And then after successful backup of the new MediaCenter-PC I deleted the original MediaCenter-PC backups from the HomeServer.

I am then left with a MediaCenter-PC1 user and a MediaCenter-PC system which homeserver then doesn't tie up when the TV Archive process tries to copy the recorded tv.

See HomeServer uses groups to give access to the folders and in the group for RW access to Recorded_TV you now have this MediaCenter-PC1 which means nothing.

So 3 possible solutions: 1. delete both MediaCenter-PC's off Windows HomeServer and reinstall the connector on the new MediaCenter or just add everyone to Recorded TV RW group or never name your installs the same name.

Cheers

Andrew

do you see any real issues with deleting both?