RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHSV1 transition to 2011 - Help please!

PINKTULIP

HI

I recently (approx 6 months ago) built a new V1 box as my old one was dying - in the anticipation of Vail, I built the box on a 64Bit platform as I wanted to be able to upgrade when the new version was bedded in.

I am now thinking of making the jump, and pricing in the UK is better than expected, I can get OEM for under £90 (sub$150).

My current box has a Corei3 running at 2.9Ghz with 4Gb of DDR3 ram. I have a 250Gb Drive which hosts the system partition and a further 2 x 2TB HD's.

I have approx 800Mb of free space, but I have duplication turned 'on' for most of my shares.

I also have a seperate NAS box which has an empty 500Gb drive, and further 250Gb available on a seperate USB Drive.

I want to run 2011 on my existing box, but need a strategy to get everything off in a safe an timely manner, then rebuild the box and re-introduce the existing drives.

I am considering buying a further 250Gb drive and using it along with the existing one as a mirror for my system drive on the new box, and possibly adding a further drive for storage probably a further 2TB.

I am liking the sound of the Datacore Harmony Add-in as I do enjoy the single Pool drive of Version 1 and would like follow a similar principle no my new box.

Any guidance with regard to a migration strategy will be much appreciated.

Rgds

Pete

Edited by PINKTULIP

If you turn duplication off, do you have less than 2 TB of data?

At the moment my server breaks down thus-

Shared folders 699Gb

Duplication 697Gb

PC Backups 684Gb

System 1.4Tb

Free Space 704Gb

Shared folders 699Gb

Duplication 697Gb

PC Backups 684Gb

System 1.4Tb

Free Space 704Gb

Looks like it's just over the 2 TB, but it might not be, if the MS VHD format is a true 2 TB and not just 2 trillion bytes.

Shared folders 699Gb

Duplication 697Gb

PC Backups 684Gb

System 1.4Tb

Free Space 704Gb

Obviously when you migrate you know longer need duplication. YOu also don't need the backups because they won't work with v2. Are you sure on your system amount? The system should be fairly small. Mine is only 100 GB. If your system amount is more like what I have, you have less than 1 TB of data. Move all that to a drive, not a pool drive, and keep it there until you have V2 set up and then you can copy the files over to v2.

Obviously when you migrate you know longer need duplication. YOu also don't need the backups because they won't work with v2. Are you sure on your system amount? The system should be fairly small. Mine is only 100 GB. If your system amount is more like what I have, you have less than 1 TB of data. Move all that to a drive, not a pool drive, and keep it there until you have V2 set up and then you can copy the files over to v2.

dang, you're right; the backups are useless. The good news is that it definitely puts him below 2TB and, like you said, maybe even below 1TB. Good to go!

Based on what you have, I would copy all the critical data to 1 or 2 drives using the folder structure you want to use. If you want to save your backups in the event you re-install V1, then copy them as well to external drive, and then have fun installing 2011. When you are done, just plug the drives back in and "point" WHS to folders that you have already created and you are in business. The mirror can be created at anytime so you do not have to do it now.

Thanks everybody

I am a bit confused by the size of the system partition, but it is reading 1.4Tb in the console.

I will turn off the duplication and move it all to a temp drive.

Thanks everybody

I am a bit confused by the size of the system partition, but it is reading 1.4Tb in the console.

I will turn off the duplication and move it all to a temp drive.

I would investigate that further. You probably have a build up of temp or log files that are not needed.

OK would this work?

I buy 2 new 2TB drives and a single 250gb Drive. I physically remove all the drives from my existing machine.

I build the new box with the 3 new drives and get the new 2011 server up and running.

I then add all my existing drives to the new server and copy the data to the new drives.

My question is using something like Datacore, is it possible to create a 'Pool' of drives after they have been populated with data?

If so I could copy all the data from my old drives to my new drives, then format the old drives and create 1 big pool with 4 X 2TB drives.

I would then like to create a mirror from the new 250Gb system drive and the old 250Gb system drive which could be formatted after the data is off?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete