RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Splashtop Remote Desktop

cskenney

Has anyone tried Splashtop Remote Desktop on their iPad, iPhone or Android devices? I stumbled across it today and decided to give it a try. There is a free app you can install that only allows for 5 minutes of connection. I tried the free app and quickly decided to give the full app a try since it is currently $2.99 for the iPad.

You have to install their Streamer Program on each PC you want to connect to. Once the Streamer program was installed it was very easy to use. Just set a password for the program, go to the App on the iPad and once it locates the computer w/ Streamer installed on the network you enter the password on the iPad. The next thing you see is your complete desktop for your PC.

I have SageTV7 running on my desktop PC and I was able to open the window and watch the video on the iPad with sound. The Streamer program automatically mutes the desktop PC so no sound is coming out of the speakers. Here is a picture of my desktop with the iPad next to it.

IMG_2027%20%28800x600%29.jpg

I can also run WMC but it will not allow it to run full screen so I have to keep it in a window.

IMG_2028%20%28800x600%29.jpg

So a couple of problems I have discovered (not show stoppers though).

1. I run extended desktop on 2 monitors. It only displays the primary monitor on the iPad. In fact, when it first connected it changed the resolution of my primary monitor but it allowed me to change it back to my normal resolution.

2. WMC would not run in full screen mode. When in a window I could not stretch it to fill the desktop. This may be a WMC thing or may be related to the monitor size, desktop resolution and my setup in general.

3. It is hard to get used to the touch screen controls to move the cursor around on the desktop using the touch interface of the iPad. I kept selecting stuff I didn't want.

4. You have to install the Streamer App on all the computers you want to connect to.

One thing I found that is pretty cool though is the desktop computer is still useable when someone is connected to it. It appears you can even change the settings so you still have sound at the desktop and at the iPAD at the same time. The user at the desktop can still move the cursor around with their mouse and interact with the computer while the person with iPad is watching. True desktop sharing!

I also installed the free app on my Droid Incredible. It works exactly the same way as the iPad but WOW is that screen small. I am not sure how much I would want to do trying to interact with my desktop PC when it's resolution is set really high.

Anyone else try this app?

Yes, I tried it for a few minutes. I mainly got it because I try every remote app out there. For the most I liked it and found much the same as you did. The one thing I did not like is the setup is very easy on your local network but is very limited when you want to remote in from outside. It does not seem to allow a dns site and only works with an IP address which I do not like. Very cool inside your network (which is not what I was looking for) but limited when trying to use it as a remote app. Great write up by the way.

• 3 weeks later...

This app came loaded on my Asus Transformer Android Tablet. It seemed to work with out too many problems, although i have yet to really test the limits of it, but i know that it is there if i did not want to get up and go to another room to get to my computer.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I tried it for a few minutes. I mainly got it because I try every remote app out there. For the most I liked it and found much the same as you did. The one thing I did not like is the setup is very easy on your local network but is very limited when you want to remote in from outside. It does not seem to allow a dns site and only works with an IP address which I do not like. Very cool inside your network (which is not what I was looking for) but limited when trying to use it as a remote app. Great write up by the way.

I found it to work well outside my LAN when associated with my Gmail account. If you associate each PC with your Gmail account, it will find those systems across the Internet. I use that to remotely control the systems from my iPad over 3G. Works surprisingly well.

I found it to work well outside my LAN when associated with my Gmail account. If you associate each PC with your Gmail account, it will find those systems across the Internet. I use that to remotely control the systems from my iPad over 3G. Works surprisingly well.

Thanks. I saw that after I wrote this post. Have not had a chance to go back in and try it. Thanks.