RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SMART Failure on V1 with Stable Bit Scanner

jcollison

SMART%20Warning.JPG

Just got this warning on my version 1 WHS. Multiple choice quiz with essay.

Question 1. Part 1 50 Points

A. Ignore

B. Replace the bad OS drive with the same size and type of drive and clone the drive.

C. Back up everything and migrate to a WHS 2011 box ASAP

D. Back up everything and rebuild a v1 box from scratch, reload data

E. None of the above. (Explain your answer)

Question 1. Part 2 50 Points

Explain your answer

Clone the drive then use a spare system to run SpinRite on the 'failing' drive at Level 4. If it passes, put the drive aside as a backup in case the clone drive has issues. BTW, this is why I really like SB Scanner. Wish it was WHS2011 ready.

I'm with ikon on this one.

B. Clone the drive, SpinRite the "bad" one (75GB shouldn't take more than an hour to scan if all is well.)

If it passes, you can always swap it back in.

I just wish they'd update SpinRite to work on modern SATA controllers.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

SMART%20Warning.JPG

Just got this warning on my version 1 WHS. Multiple choice quiz with essay.

Question 1. Part 1 50 Points

A. Ignore

B. Replace the bad OS drive with the same size and type of drive and clone the drive.

C. Back up everything and migrate to a WHS 2011 box ASAP

D. Back up everything and rebuild a v1 box from scratch, reload data

E. None of the above. (Explain your answer)

Question 1. Part 2 50 Points

Explain your answer

1. B.

2. Least amount of work for now and it keeps the system going allowing you to spend more time thinking about the best migration path to 2011 and keep an eye out for "deals". After cloning the bad OS drive I would set the old drive aside -- if it could be fixed that's fine but I'm not sure I'd trust it on anything I consider critical.

Also important to have a big glass of red wine while thinking about this and making a check list of everything to do -- calming and good for the heart :) Too much wine and you may want to hold off on the work till later :)

I'm with ikon on this one.

B. Clone the drive, SpinRite the "bad" one (75GB shouldn't take more than an hour to scan if all is well.)

If it passes, you can always swap it back in.

I just wish they'd update SpinRite to work on modern SATA controllers.

Wondering what you mean by 'modern sata controllers'?

Well this did happen to me, except didn't use stablebit soon enough to catch the drive that

did fail. I am moving to 2011 in the next couple of weeks, waiting for my drive cage now

to raid the OS drives. In the interim rebuilding v1 to have client backups just in case.

it's an 80 gig drive, toss it in the dumpster <_<

Ding. 80GB IDE. Jim, how about I mail you a 400 or 500GB SATA drive I have sitting around and you try the red wine while you're waiting. I get rid of some junk improving WAF, you get a...umm...better (I hesitate to say good) drive and we're all happy.

If you want a serious answer, I'd have to see what SMART error it was. It could just have been a high temp or a delay on spinup from a power flicker.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the error was an increase in Seek Error Rate (a non-critical ATA error) or Soft Read Error Rate.

If it is "Read Error Rate" or Reallocated Sectors or Spin Retry Count (NOT spinup time which is non-critical) then those are critical errors and the SMART (*cough*) thing to do is dump the drive.

Edited by timekills

it's an 80 gig drive, toss it in the dumpster dry.gif

oh c*%@, I missed that. Did he really run it on an IDE drive? Wow, 1) dump the drive, now! and 2) bang your head against the wall to remind you not to do that again :D