awraynor

Everyone loves free stuff as much as a beta. With all the photography talk

on the site lately, give this a try.

PhotoDirector

ikon

Everyone loves free stuff as much as a beta. With all the photography talk

on the site lately, give this a try.

PhotoDirector

Thx for this; already applied for it. It's really too bad I just ordered Lightroom 3 :angry:

JediTim

Thx for this; already applied for it. It's really too bad I just ordered Lightroom 3 :angry:

You won't be upset at using Lightroom 3. It has definitely increased my productivity with my digital images...I used to use Photoshop Elements but all the keyword tags I used were lost when I switched programs...Lightroom ads the tags directly to the file and is viewable in other programs.

geek-accountant

Interesting product, but ikon I think you will be happy with Lightroom. As JediTim said, Lightroom has changed my workflow. I used to shot RAW+JPEG so I can quickly process he JPEG's and get them up on my website, then only used the RAW if someone wanted a print or the file. Now with Lightroom, I only shot RAW and can have those processed and up on the website even faster than when I was dealing with the JPEG's.

While I have not used this product, and free is a really nice price, Lightroom is the king for a reason. Even Apple's Aperture is outsold by Lightroom on the Apple platform alone. What I can't wait to hear from you ikon (and from Dave) is your first impressions of Lightroom once you start using it. During the first 10 days of my 30 day trial, I almost un-installed the software. Then it "clicked" for me and I have been hooked ever since.

IMO, the order of buy photo software is as follows:

1. Lightroom (along with purchase of first DSLR, or sooner)

2. Nik Complete Collection - for Lightroom (once you have the funds)

3. Photoshop (extremely powerful with nearly endless options, so an excellent tool to have, however with Lightroom, Photoshop will get little use)

All that said, thanks awraynor for the link. I have downloaded the software and will give it a try. Not everyone wants/can pay for Lightroom and I would love to find an alternative for them.

ikon

Interesting product, but ikon I think you will be happy with Lightroom. As JediTim said, Lightroom has changed my workflow. I used to shot RAW+JPEG so I can quickly process he JPEG's and get them up on my website, then only used the RAW if someone wanted a print or the file. Now with Lightroom, I only shot RAW and can have those processed and up on the website even faster than when I was dealing with the JPEG's.

While I have not used this product, and free is a really nice price, Lightroom is the king for a reason. Even Apple's Aperture is outsold by Lightroom on the Apple platform alone. What I can't wait to hear from you ikon (and from Dave) is your first impressions of Lightroom once you start using it. During the first 10 days of my 30 day trial, I almost un-installed the software. Then it "clicked" for me and I have been hooked ever since.

3. Photoshop (extremely powerful with nearly endless options, so an excellent tool to have, however with Lightroom, Photoshop will get little use)

All that said, thanks awraynor for the link. I have downloaded the software and will give it a try. Not everyone wants/can pay for Lightroom and I would love to find an alternative for them.

I pulled the trigger on LR 3 because it was on sale @ amazon.com for $180. In Canada it's $320 (for some unfathomable reason, since the CDN $ is higher than the US). Of course, Adobe won't let Amazon.com ship it to Canada so I had a US friend buy it for me.

ikon

I installed the app last night and immediately ran into a problem. After starting it up I tried to import photos from my T2i's SDHC card, but I got this error:

PD_networkError.jpg

I have confirmed that the folder is actually writable.Also, if I set the path to a drive on my local system it works fine. Anyone else run into this? Just wanted to check before submitting a bug report.

geek-accountant

I loaded the app in a virtual machine and it didn't like the video system of the VM. I hate installing and uninstalling tons of apps on my main machine and therefore have a VM just for testing things. I need to try something else, but if I can't get this to work in a VM, I will not be testing it.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I loaded the app in a virtual machine and it didn't like the video system of the VM. I hate installing and uninstalling tons of apps on my main machine and therefore have a VM just for testing things. I need to try something else, but if I can't get this to work in a VM, I will not be testing it.

Hmmmm, I was going to do the same. I hope to install tomorrow. Let me know if you get it working and I will let you know if I don't have any problems.

JediTim

I agree on number 3...I used to use Photoshop and Bridge and now I rarely use Photoshop anymore.