RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

My Inbox has "x" messages....

Dave

Do you guys blow your Inbox away after a certain date? Drives me nuts that I keep so many messages and yet I keep doing it. I have been creating a folder called "Inbox 2011 January" and archiving them that way. Copy all the items over, leave the flagged ones in the inbox.

Oh, mine is 291 right now. That's May's leftover messages.

geek-accountant

I have over 10,000 messages in my Inbox at work, and I move a ton of them into sorted folders. I just get so many that I would need to spend a couple of hours every day just moving e-mails if I tried to keep my inbox clean.

osquest

I have about 1600 in my work inbox now. That's just email that isn't from my bosses or related to current projects, I have rules to flag those and move them to folders. Once I start getting quota alerts I archive anything in my inbox that I haven't flagged and is over two weeks old. No sense asking for a quota increase since at that point all hope is lost anyway. And yes, people complain I don't read their email or am slow in responding.

jmwills

Separate pst files for each year. Exchange Admins just love to impose those quoatas !! I actually had a user in Iraq with a 10 gig pst file......hint...it's not a file server ma'am.

ikon

Separate pst files for each year. Exchange Admins just love to impose those quoatas !! I actually had a user in Iraq with a 10 gig pst file......hint...it's not a file server ma'am.

Same as me at work; I create a new PST at the start of each year. I have all my PSTs open in Outlook, so I can quickly refer back to old ones, but my Inbox has only 6 emails in it at the moment, and that's actually high; usually it's only 3 or so.

One hint; I recently started running ScanPST every morning before starting up Outlook at work. Every morning it finds errors in the PST for the current year, which is where I'm actively filing messages of course. I run ScanPST repeatedly until it comes back with no errors, which usually takes 3 or 4 times. I started doing this because I upgraded to Office 2010 and ran into issues moving my PSTs from Outlook 2003. I had no idea that PSTs build up errors so quickly, but I'm glad I can now be reasonably sure I won't have issues in the future.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I move emails to folders if they are important. Otherwise they are deleted. I have about 150 folders that I use. I know it is way too many , but it works for me. I then archive my deleted items and sent items by year. This keeps my inbox fairly clean. I usually have about 100 messages in my inbox when I am not traveling.

Joe_Miner

I use Rules extensively [Outlook 2007] to manage my in-box at work where I can easily get 150-200 e-mails per day. Important information is swept to appropriate folders and sub-folders. Our IT has an Archive system established that Archives messages after 30 days but we are able to get to our archives as we need them and links are kept in the established folders/sub-folders. For legal reasons we have to keep many documents for some time and I have referenced e-mails that were over 15 years old from time to time.

At home I again use Rules to keep my in-box clean [Outlook 2010] -- I really love the capability of Outlook 2010 and wish we had it at work. Obviously my e-mail traffic at home is much lower but it has it's complications with my various e-mail accounts as well as my wife's accounts.