RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC build photos

As promised in a few other threads, here are some photos of my latest build, an HTPC for my living room. I've never had an HTPC before. This one has worked out really well, except for the hard drive. As you will see, it's in a very tight space and I'm finding it's running too warm for my liking (50C). Not sure what I'm going to do, but I guess it'll involve a case mod.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

BottomOverview.jpg

CPUgrill.jpg

InsidesOverview.jpgOCZlogoLabel.jpg

OCZspecLabel.jpg

RAMcloseup.jpg

Edited by ikon
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• JediTim

• Dave

• vinylfreak

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. How about the fan noise?

Maybe you discussed this in other threads but why not a DVD player? Personal preference obviously. I do like the card reader. Do you use this HTPC to dump camera cards to or something li

Very nice. How about the fan noise?

Maybe you discussed this in other threads but why not a DVD player? Personal preference obviously. I do like the card reader. Do you use this HTPC to dump camera cards to or something li

Fan noise is excellent. These Arctic Cooling fans are da bomb. My wife says she can't even hear them. By using 4 fans I can keep the revs way down.

All my video is ripped to the WHS, so no need for DVD or Blu-Ray. The card reader is for whatever needs to be read to be seen. E.g. someone brings their camera over and wants to see the photos on 60" Bravia smile.gif
vinylfreak

MoboModel.jpg

FansOverview.jpg

F8fanCloseup.jpg

LP11fanCloseup.jpg

HardDriveCloseup.jpg

As you can see, the hard disk location is awfully tight.

Very Nice Case! I still think Silverstone makes some of the nicest looking HTPC cases.

Man with all those fans I cant believe your hard drive is running warm.

Maybe increase the RPMs a little.

Looks good. I am surprised the fan noise is not an issue.

I suspect it would be with other brands of fans. Arctic Cooling seems to have some magic sauce for their fans that makes them unbelievably quiet. They're made of 2 parts; a cage that holds the actual fan & motor, and a 2nd cage that attaches to the chassis. The cages are connected by 4 very flexible rubber ties The 2 cages never actually touch.each other, which I think helps a lot by isolating the vibration. And I think the fan blades are also specially designed to minimize noise and turbulance. Whatever it is, it works. I will be using their fans from now on.

Joe_Miner

I suspect it would be with other brands of fans. Arctic Cooling seems to have some magic sauce for their fans that makes them unbelievably quiet. They're made of 2 parts; a cage that holds the actual fan & motor, and a 2nd cage that attaches to the chassis. The cages are connected by 4 very flexible rubber ties The 2 cages never actually touch.each other, which I think helps a lot by isolating the vibration. And I think the fan blades are also specially designed to minimize noise and turbulance. Whatever it is, it works. I will be using their fans from now on.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have to take a look at those fans!

Finally, a shot of the KB & mouse I use with the HTPC. I also have a WMC remote, but I mostly use the these.

Keyboard-Mouse.jpg

Looks good. I am surprised the fan noise is not an issue.

I'm surprised too. When you see that many fans you just automatically think "noise." Gonna have to remember this next time I'm in need of fans. Heck, I might just start replacing some if that is truly the case.