RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Eye-Fi

usacomp2k3

So we're getting my wife a new camera, and I'm probably going to spring for one of the Eye-Fi SD memory cards for it. This will let the pictures be uploaded to the computer over the wireless.
My idea is that I will install the software on the WHS so that the pictures will automatically get put onto the server and will just show up on the computer. Sounds like a plan to me.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• usacomp2k3

• cskenney

• greenawayj

Look forward to this review. As you go through it I would like to know a couple of things.

Can it put in specific folders?
Can you set it up to create folders by date and store the pictures by date?
Does it, or can it, remove the pictures from the camera once they are loaded on WHS?
What size is the card?

I'll be watching for this review as well. My need is more of a test of Media Center and not the Eye-Fi. When we host a party I usually run a slideshow on all of my media centers. It would be cool to be walking around and taking pics and have them show up on the slide show minutes later. I guess I could test this by running a slideshow and copying in new pics. Has anyone done this?

Great way to do this if it works as advertised. Takes the hassle out it. Interested in knowing how it tags files and determines locations.

Quick answer is yes it works if you manually add the pics to a slide show. I can tell you that what you want to do is slick. A friend of mine had a party, his W7 party actually, and did exactly what you are talking about with his windows mobile phone. Usually within a couple of minutes the new photo would be on the slideshow. I hope this will work with the Eye-Fi given I don't have a Windows mobile phone.

One more question on the card, please test the speed of the card. Can you shoot, at least 4 pictures per second.

I'll be had to. We're going to pick up the 4GB Share Video. I'll be sure to check to see if it will pull video from my camcorder as well. Depending on the speed and how well the software works, I might pick up another for the camcorder, and even maybe a CF->SD adapter and get an eye-fi for my Rebel XTi.

I got the 4GB Share Video card recently as part of a promotion with Google. I am just getting started using. It was very hard for me to get setup initially. Most of the trouble seemed to be the card is required to register itself online with Eye-fi's server even if you are only going to store pictures locally on your computer. There are a few posts in the Eye-fi forums on putting the software on WHS.

I will try and mess around a little bit this weekend and see if I can answer some of the questions you all have posted.

Also, I don't think you are going to achieve 4 pictures per second with the card I own. This might be possible with the Pro version since it is a Class 6 card, but the download to the PC still seems to take a couple seconds per picture.

Chris

@cskenney: I think the download to PC is more a limitation of the wireless network.

I picked up the card today and I must say it works amazing. I've got a video I need to finish editing and then I'll upload for all to see. A+ in my book.

Update on running slideshows and having newly added pictures show up. I played around with Media Center and it doesn't seem to update a slideshow that is running. If you stop the slideshow and then restart it, it will pull in the new pictures.

However, from the Eye-fi forums, they listed 2 PC apps that can add in pictures to slideshows on the fly. One is FastStone Image Viewer which I have verified works correctly (newly added pictures show up in the running slide show). The other one listed in their forum is Windows Live Photo Gallery. I also have this program on our laptop but it would not add new photos to the slideshow while the slideshow was running. If you stopped the slideshow and then restarted it, it would pull in the new pictures.

So, right now, I have verified FastStone Image Viewer works. Curious if anyone else has a different solution.

Chris

Hey usacomp2k3,

None of the eye-fi cards, with the exception of the new Pro X2 can handle HD video if that is what your camcorder or camera can record at. It is the only class 6 card available from them. That is why I did not buy one of these for my GF's camera that I got here for Christmas. That Pro X2 was not available back then, but I might pick one up for her now.

I have been using Live mesh for the auto-populating of a folder with pictures. Right now, I snap a pic with my droid phone, send it to my "pics" e-mail address. Then thunderbird on my home pc automatically opens the e-mail and with the attachment plugin auto-extracts the pictures and places it in my live mesh folder. So now the picture automatically goes to whoever has my live mesh folder added, including my WHS.