RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How can you read a backup disk on another computer

edamiga1

In the first reply there was mention of the Server Backup. When I coonect the external hard drive with the server backup to another PC it's unable to read any data on the drive. If I connect it to the WHS 2011 PC I'm able to read the drive. Why is this? The PC tells me I don't have permission to access the drive and the drive shows 0MB of data.

Is it possible you need to go into Disk Management and Import the drive? Just a thought.

In the first reply there was mention of the Server Backup. When I coonect the external hard drive with the server backup to another PC it's unable to read any data on the drive. If I connect it to the WHS 2011 PC I'm able to read the drive. Why is this? The PC tells me I don't have permission to access the drive and the drive shows 0MB of data.

Follow the link that I gave in the second reply. That shows you how to mount a backup disc (which uses the VHD format) to a PC running Windows...

I'm unable to access the disk. I get a message saying access denied. I can't read any files on the disk.

I'm unable to access the disk. I get a message saying access denied. I can't read any files on the disk.

Very odd. Following the steps given in that link, I was able to mount an external drive holding a WHS 2011 server backup onto my Desktop PC to read the files without problem. I don't know what to suggest further. Sorry.

Have you tried going into Properties for the drive and taking ownership? Just another thought :)

Take Ownership Of A File, Folder, or Drive

1. Right-click the file, folder, or drive that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Security tab (and then click OK on the Security message if one appears).

3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

If no Administrator is listed in the name list, click edit and select from the popup list and

then click OK.

5. A popup appears stating that if you have just taken ownership, you must reopen properties. Click

OK on this popup and OK on all open menues. The Admin (you) or the Admin Group now owns the file.

To change permissions on the now "owned" file, folder, or drive.

1. Right-click the file, folder, or drive that you want to change permissions on.

2. Click the Security tab (and then click OK on the Security message if one appears).

3. Click edit and then add.

4. In the "Enter the object names to select (examples):" list, type Administrator and click OK.

5. In the Group or user names list, select an account and put a check mark in the boxes for the desired

permissions then click apply.

6. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.