RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How can you read a backup disk on another computer

edamiga1

I have used the 2TB backup feature to do my nightly backups, but I am unclear on how to access this on another computer.

I want to be able to read files from the backup from another computer, just to make myself comfortable. Can you tell me how this is done.

WHS V1 put them in directories and it worked greate. Please tell me I can do this with WHS 2011...

Just to be clear, I assume that when you say "the 2TB backup feature", you are talking about the Server Backup (which has a limit of 2TB), and not the Client PCs Backup (which doesn't have a 2TB limit)...

If you mean the Server Backup, then the backup is made to an attached disc using the VHD format. If that disc is an external disc (i.e. connected to the server via USB), then you can plug it in to a Windows 7 PC and mount the drive by following the instructions here:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/mount-vhd-windows-7/

Once mounted, you'll be able to see the files and folders in the backup.

Edited by gcoupe

Just to be clear, I assume that when you say "the 2TB backup feature", you are talking about the Server Backup (which has a limit of 2TB), and not the Client PCs Backup (which doesn't have a 2TB limit)...

If you mean the Server Backup, then the backup is made to an attached disc using the VHD format. If that disc is an external disc (i.e. connected to the server via USB), then you can plug it in to a Windows 7 PC and mount the drive by following the instructions here:

Thanks...I should probably ensure that the backup that I carry offsite is actually backing up my data.

interesting reply gcoupe, you said the Client PCs Backup (which doesn't have a 2TB limit)...

Tim Daleo and myself were chatting about this topic this week, we haven't tested this yet, maybe you can help,

1st point is that we think that the PC backups are made using the VHD format so you would have a 2TB limit for a single drive, meaning that your PC could not have a 3TB drive backed up successfully. You could have multiple 2TB drives in the PC, but they would have to be single drives, which the backup process would make multiple 2TB VHD's. I'm not even sure if a RAID array using a 2 1.5TB (3TB) or larger array would even backup to WHS2011 because that would make a VHD larger than 2TB VHD which is a limit of VHD.hmm... WHS v1 handles backups differently.

2nd point is that your PC backups are limited to the size of the share where your server PC backup folder is. Suppose you have the PC backup folder and a few other shared folders on the same drive, your total PC backups would fail if the backup was larger than the left over space of the shares on that drive. eg: if the PC backup folder is on a 2TB drive and you had 1.5TB in a Videos share on the same drive, then you would be limited to a total of 500gigs for all your PC backups. So a good strategy here would be to have only the PC backup folder on a 2TB drive whereby you are limited to a maximum of 2TB for all the PC's combined on the network that you want to backup or better yet create a Raid array large enough to store all the PC backups. remember also that because of the single instance backup process, many of the OS files from different PC's are only copied once so take that into consideration when your counting up all your PC's

With WHS v1 the PC backup folder can expand over multiple drives so backup space are less restrictive.

Again, we haven't tested this or read something to the contrary so I'm unsure if this is a correct assumption. :blink:

Maybe someone else has the answer or can test this theory.

The more I read about the WHS2011 product and the vhd limitations, the more I start to compare it to Windows Me. As of right now, they are neck and neck for the worst MS product ever (but still better than apple products though ;)).

I have used the 2TB backup feature to do my nightly backups, but I am unclear on how to access this on another computer.

I want to be able to read files from the backup from another computer, just to make myself comfortable. Can you tell me how this is done.

WHS V1 put them in directories and it worked greate. Please tell me I can do this with WHS 2011...

Just a couple of suggestions. You can access the backups from any client using the client restore wizard. It will allow you to open any of the bacups and restore files to another system. Check the show notes supplement of BYOB 39 toward the bottom. Just to clarify something John said, Each client is limited to 2T but the destination is not. Another words I can backup 3 clients each at 2T to an 8T RAID volume. Each client backup is independent and backup destination is not tied into a 2T limit as the server backup is. Hope that helps.

BYOB 39 Supplement: http://homeservershow.com/boot-devices-a-supplement-to-byob-39.html

interesting reply gcoupe, you said the Client PCs Backup (which doesn't have a 2TB limit)...

Tim Daleo and myself were chatting about this topic this week, we haven't tested this yet, maybe you can help,

1st point is that we think that the PC backups are made using the VHD format so you would have a 2TB limit for a single drive, meaning that your PC could not have a 3TB drive backed up successfully. You could have multiple 2TB drives in the PC, but they would have to be single drives, which the backup process would make multiple 2TB VHD's. I'm not even sure if a RAID array using a 2 1.5TB (3TB) or larger array would even backup to WHS2011 because that would make a VHD larger than 2TB VHD which is a limit of VHD.hmm... WHS v1 handles backups differently.

2nd point is that your PC backups are limited to the size of the share where your server PC backup folder is. Suppose you have the PC backup folder and a few other shared folders on the same drive, your total PC backups would fail if the backup was larger than the left over space of the shares on that drive. eg: if the PC backup folder is on a 2TB drive and you had 1.5TB in a Videos share on the same drive, then you would be limited to a total of 500gigs for all your PC backups. With WHS v1 the PC backup folder can expand over multiple drives so backup space are less restrictive.

Again, we haven't tested this or read something to the contrary so I'm unsure if this is a correct assumption. :blink:

Maybe someone else has the answer or can test this theory.

Oh bugger! I thought that I had seen posts to the effect that Client PCs with more than 2TB would be backed up OK, and here you are, saying, in effect: hang on a minute...

I'm afraid that none of my Client PCs have more than 2TB storage, so I can't provide the definitive answer. Hopefully someone else can.

I'm reminded of the apochryphal story of Greek (or sometimes Medieval) philosophers who argued for days/years over how many teeth a horse had. The matter was only resolved when someone of a practical turn of mind went round to the stable and counted them...

Just a couple of suggestions. You can access the backups from any client using the client restore wizard. It will allow you to open any of the bacups and restore files to another system. Check the show notes supplement of BYOB 39 toward the bottom. Just to clarify something John said, Each client is limited to 2T but the destination is not. Another words I can backup 3 clients each at 2T to an 8T RAID volume. Each client backup is independent and backup destination is not tied into a 2T limit as the server backup is. Hope that helps.

BYOB 39 Supplement: http://homeservershow.com/boot-devices-a-supplement-to-byob-39.html

Mike...Thanks as usual. I will check this out this weekend to ensure my backup drive is actually backing up the data

Each client is limited to 2T but the destination is not. Another words I can backup 3 clients each at 2T to an 8T RAID volume. Each client backup is independent and backup destination is not tied into a 2T limit as the server backup is.

So I guess I will use the Client Backup to back up the client OS drives, and RoboCopy to copy the client data to the server..... oh wait, I do that already... whew! :)

Then I'll RoboCopy the data from the server to an external USB3 multi-drive enclosure.

• 1 month later...

In the first reply there was mention of the Server Backup. When I coonect the external hard drive with the server backup to another PC it's unable to read any data on the drive. If I connect it to the WHS 2011 PC I'm able to read the drive. Why is this? The PC tells me I don't have permission to access the drive and the drive shows 0MB of data.