RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What to start with

senji323

I have been looking at, and researching Windows Homer Sever for quite a while, and have been listening to the show for over a year now. I was pretty much waiting for the next version of WHS to come out, and since V1 had been out for so long. I thought might as well purchase what's new instead of what is old. Well you can say I was pretty much devastated when I found out that they would be removing data duplication from the new version, since my primary reason for getting a home sever was to protect against loss of data based on drive failure. Since they don't make drives like they used to. I've looked at other options like the Drobo which is pretty damn awesome except for the price and it still isn't WHS. I'm wondering that even though 2011 is out, would it be a bad idea to purchase an Acer easystore Windows Home Sever? It's still a good price I would still be getting data duplication, but I just worry that I'm buying into a dieing technology. In the end I would love to be running a drobo off the side of my 2011 or future version. But since money is so tight around my household, it makes that not so easy todo.

Since money is tight, you could stick with WHS v1. You can find a copy for as little as $40 that includes Power Pack 3 and a bunch of updates. You would already have a big leap forward over all the issues of the past. It is a mature product so there no surprises and there are a lot of free addins and information. You have the advantage of Drive pooling and duplication and don't have to worry about how you will handle you data as with WHS2011.

I have been looking at, and researching Windows Homer Sever for quite a while, and have been listening to the show for over a year now. I was pretty much waiting for the next version of WHS to come out, and since V1 had been out for so long. I thought might as well purchase what's new instead of what is old. Well you can say I was pretty much devastated when I found out that they would be removing data duplication from the new version, since my primary reason for getting a home sever was to protect against loss of data based on drive failure. Since they don't make drives like they used to. I've looked at other options like the Drobo which is pretty damn awesome except for the price and it still isn't WHS. I'm wondering that even though 2011 is out, would it be a bad idea to purchase an Acer easystore Windows Home Sever? It's still a good price I would still be getting data duplication, but I just worry that I'm buying into a dieing technology. In the end I would love to be running a drobo off the side of my 2011 or future version. But since money is so tight around my household, it makes that not so easy todo.

Here's another option for you to consider. I don't use the built in data duplication. I have a 4-drive external eSATA box connected to my Acer WHS. The drives are striped into 1 big volume using Windows Server Disk Management. Every night a scheduled task runs RoboCopy to mirror everything on my WHS to the external box. It looks like I'm going to be able to use exactly the same strategy with WHS2011. Last night I moved the chassis from the Acer to my new WHS2011 box and imported the disks into it with no issues at all. My transition to WHS2011 is starting to look like it's gonna be super easy.

Given money is tight and you haven't used either WHS product I would go with cheap and easy. Thus, my recommendation is V1. MS has already said they will continue to support it to 2013. So you have plenty of time to think over changing to V2 if you desire.

WHS version 1 will work fine...I had mine running for close to three years with only a couple of small issues...repleaced the failing drive and it worked perfectly. Not sure if you have or can get ahold of any hardware that you can use to build a WHS V1.

Version 1 would be a good solution as your issue was the exaqct reason I went into WHS in the first place...protect my data from a drive failure.

Wow this is some great feed back. I like the idea of mirroring to a Nas or storage device of some kind. The reason I haven't gone with a custom build with v1 already is one the money issue obviously and two I really don't have any hardware laying around to get one up and running with, and three I was going to build a box for 2011. When I have done my research I figure I would have to spend at least 300 on hardware for a WHS box. And the reason the Acer looked like a good deal was the price tag, four bay expandability,extra PCI slots, Gigabit NIC, all ready to go. Yes if I build a box I could run v1 but, also have a box that's ready to switch to 64bit 2011. Defiantly not easy decisions. I will admit that part of the money issue is the wife acceptance factor, how to explain to hear that spending what little money we have now on this box. lol the WAF is always a Challenge.

For a V1 machine NewEgg does have a very attractive deal on an Acer bundled with 3 additional Samsung HD’s for $550 & free shipping – I know next to zip on the Acer servers so I am unable to speak on their quality, product support, or any future upgrade paths – you should search the forums for information in that area. For a non-sophisticated user like my sister’s, brother, and their families this may be a very good solution that could be installed and forgotten about for a year or two.

If it was me in your situation, you’re apparently a more sophisticated user, since $ is tight -- I’d hold off any purchase until this fall and spend my time pouring over the spec’s of the new machines with V2 as they come out over the next 6-months as well as people’s experience with inexpensive home builds and utilization of products such as HP’s microServers (discussed in some recent HomeServerShow &/or BYOB podcasts). If you’re close enough to drive to the HomeServerShow Meet on June 25th that would be another opportunity to pick peoples brains on various options and it sounds like from the podcasts that there will be a number of different builds there to look over. I would target early to mid November as my decision point and get ready to pounce on the deals that will be available from many vendors starting just before Thanksgiving – be sure to focus on Black Friday – New Egg and many others will have some incredible deals available then. V2 has many features, including being 64bit based which will make client restores much more pleasant as well as provide many speed advantages, plus V2 will be supported into 2016 whereas V1 only has about 18 months left in it’s supprt cycle. Just my 2-cents.

Depending on what you have now as a PC, you could consider making that a WHS and spend the money on buying a new PC. This might get you bonus point with the wife, ;) telling her the every day PC needs to get upgraded for better preformance and newer technology and you will repurpose the old PC as a WHS, so your actually recycling, that's a good thing :lol: Let us know what hardware you have and we can give an opinion.

One other selling point...if you have photos / video / music that you "could" lose without a backup what is the cost. As I said earlier I almost lost a hard drive that had all my photos on it...the data was recovered and I only lost the names of the files and a couple of pictures. If that happened now that I am all digital I stand to lose tens of thousands of photographs with only a small fraction uploaded to Flickr...I built the WHS to protect my photo history.

Could be the selling point...was for me.

Tim

Just adding my two cents as everyone has covered some really good points. Considering that you presently do not have anything, starting small makes perfect sense. It is interesting that that we are talking about the WAF and getting approval for the purchase, in that I my administrator came to me today and told me that her niece just had a computer failure and years of irreplaceable pictures where possibly lost. She told me that took the drive to a data center and the cost of data extraction was estimated at $1200. For about a third to half of that they could have bought a nice home server and avoided this. There is a real life selling point for you as this actually just happened today. Now back to the tech. There are numerous Acer 4 drive units for around $399. I know a couple of people who have these and have been happy with them. It is a low cost entry point that at least gives you backup, folder duplication on data, and few additional features. Just add a couple of drives and you are on your way. With potential disaster lurking around, you really need to take the plunge.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859321014