RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you transfer WHS v1 WDBB client backups to WHS 2011

bondisdead

Yes, you have to uninstall the KB981089 patch on the WHSv1 box which will also replace the PC connector software after the reboot, and also run manual Windows Updates and untick the update so it doesn't reinstall. Then install the WHS v1 connector. :P

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• ikon

• bondisdead

• bischi2000

I made a small error when migrating data, assuming WHS 1 kept all files in relevant directories complete and then made complete duplicates elsewhere. Unfortunately it spreads them around so when I loaded WHS 2011 and access the old drives I thought I could copy them whole however more recent files where by themselves elsewhere and by themselves. I lost some itunes music but got them back. (did a backup but saw the folder but did not check they had the files in them and they were empty)

Yes, you have to uninstall the KB981089 patch on the WHSv1 box which will also replace the PC connector software after the reboot, and also run manual Windows Updates and untick the update so it doesn't reinstall. Then install the WHS v1 connector. :P

thx. Cause this is what I got on my win7x64 client machine when I tried to install the WHS2011 connector along side the WHSv1 connector:

ConnectorFail.jpg

Guess you must have already seen this (maybe a bunch of times).

hmmm, doesn't seem to have worked. I uninstalled KB981089 using Add/Remove, rebooted WHS, uninstalled connector frmo win7x64, reinstalled connector from http://server:55000, and disabled KB981089 in WU (pic)

KB981089disabled.jpg

I'm still getting the same error. Not a huge deal but it would be very convenient to have both on this computer so I can manage both servers until my transition is complete.

Sweet, thanks for the photos. I'm happy to see you got it going.

ikon, if your willing to write this up as a blog post including the images using Live Writer, I'll ask Dave to post it. :)

It is pretty wild how active this thread has become! I have to admit I got a chuckle when hearing it brought up in this weeks podcast. :-)

My scenario was saving backups from computers which were in the house, like discussed on the podcast.

However, I am also stuck in the middle of the transition between two servers. In order to maintain consistency, I named the new server the same as the old. I used the <shift> F10 trick mentioned during the poscast. I read that i could not change the name later. This pretty much means I

cannot have them on at the same time. As a result inam removing the drives from old server, attaching to new, then using syncback to copy files on media that was not folder duplicated. Like faster then doing it over the network, but certainly less automated!!

I am thinking about vitrualizing my V1 server and the PC backups once I make the move to 2011. That way, should I ever need those backups, I could start the V1 server in VM Ware and get what I need.. I will remove everything I can from it before converting it to keep the VHD's small as possible..

I am thinking about vitrualizing my V1 server and the PC backups once I make the move to 2011. That way, should I ever need those backups, I could start the V1 server in VM Ware and get what I need.. I will remove everything I can from it before converting it to keep the VHD's small as possible..

That's what I did as a test.

1) Backup WHSV1 Client Backup database with WHS BDBB add-in

2) Setup virtual WHS installation on my Hyper-V box

3) Restore BDBB backed up database to virtual WHSV1 installation

Greg