RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you transfer WHS v1 WDBB client backups to WHS 2011

bondisdead

Sorry for the long title! I am in the middle of planning stages of building a new WHS 2011. After it's up and running and stable, I will slowly transfer over my data from my WHS v1. However, I was wondering if it's possible to maintain all the backups that I have from my WHS v1 box into my new WHS 2011 build?? Can I do a recover using the WDBB backup database via the WHS 2011 WDBB add-in? I'd hate to lose all of those backups.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• diehard

• bischi2000

• bondisdead

Sorry for the long title! I am in the middle of planning stages of building a new WHS 2011. After it's up and running and stable, I will slowly transfer over my data from my WHS v1. However, I was wondering if it's possible to maintain all the backups that I have from my WHS v1 box into my new WHS 2011 build?? Can I do a recover using the WDBB backup database via the WHS 2011 WDBB add-in? I'd hate to lose all of those backups.

To the best of my knowledge no. If someone is aware of a way but as far as I know since there is no upgrade path, there is no way to port your backups over. Even if you can save them I would plan on starting over.

diehard

To the best of my knowledge no. If someone is aware of a way but as far as I know since there is no upgrade path, there is no way to port your backups over. Even if you can save them I would plan on starting over.

True.PC backups are handled differently from WHS and WHS2011.

Technically, you could copy the database from WHS, the backups are in the D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} but then you could not use the WHS PC Restore CD or the WHS2011 PC Restore CD.

Also you would not be able to update those images.

bischi2000

Hi to everxbody.

I'm new and my english isn't very good, so please be patient with me.

I want to upgrade my WHS V1 server to a WHS2011, to. And I want to copy also all of my client backups to the new server.

As I understood the following articles, then I could copy all backups with BDBB from WHS V1 to another harddrive. And in the next step I could copy them from this harddrive to my new WHS2011 server.

I tryed to do this with my test-vm of WHS 2011. I copied all files (the BDBB add-in copied to the harddrive) to the WHS 2011 VM into the folder /ServerFolders/Clientcomputersicherungen (that is Germen - in English I guess it's called Clientbackups..). Then I started the Dashboard on the VM. But: I can't see any client backups..

So my question is: Did I anything wrong? Isn't it possible to copy the client backups from WHS V1 to WHS2011?

Thanks,

andreas

cskenney

Hi to everxbody.

I want to upgrade my WHS V1 server to a WHS2011, to. And I want to copy also all of my client backups to the new server.

As I understood the following articles, then I could copy all backups with BDBB from WHS V1 to another harddrive. And in the next step I could copy them from this harddrive to my new WHS2011 server.

I tryed to do this with my test-vm of WHS 2011. I copied all files (the BDBB add-in copied to the harddrive) to the WHS 2011 VM into the folder /ServerFolders/Clientcomputersicherungen (that is Germen - in English I guess it's called Clientbackups..). Then I started the Dashboard on the VM. But: I can't see any client backups..

So my question is: Did I anything wrong? Isn't it possible to copy the client backups from WHS V1 to WHS2011?

Thanks,

andreas

Hello and welcome to our forums!

Your question was actually just answered earlier in this thread. WHS v1 client backups are handled differently in v1 verses WHS2011. So no, you didn't do anything wrong. It just won't work to move them from v1 to v2.

Hi to everxbody.

Thanks,

andreas

Yep, you have to start over with WHS2011. And your English is very good BTW, better than some of us :)

Edited by ikon
bischi2000

Thanks for your fast answeres! And: thanks, but my English isn't as good as yours :o)

So I have to find another way to copy the important backups to my new server - I guess I will open the backups and copy the

important files to another disk and store them after installation on my new server.

I guess there is no other way, isn't it?

andreas

bischi2000

True.PC backups are handled differently from WHS and WHS2011.

Technically, you could copy the database from WHS, the backups are in the D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} but then you could not use the WHS PC Restore CD or the WHS2011 PC Restore CD.

Also you would not be able to update those images.

One small question: If I copy these backups to WHS 2011 or another computer, can I open these backups in WHS 2011 or on another computer with any program?

I just want to copy may backups and want to be able to open it and copy some files out of it... Can WHS 2011 this or another program?

Thanks to all,

andreas

diehard

no. but since they are on a WHS v1 box, you can open them from any PC that has the WHS v1 connector. This will create a mounted drive. Then you have access to these files. You can copy them to an other PC drive, then back them up to a WHS2011 server if the computer is on that server. Best is to have the PC running both WHSv1 and WHS2011 connector software.

no. but since they are on a WHS v1 box, you can open them from any PC that has the WHS v1 connector. This will create a mounted drive. Then you have access to these files. You can copy them to an other PC drive, then back them up to a WHS2011 server if the computer is on that server. Best is to have the PC running both WHSv1 and WHS2011 connector software.

Is there a trick to having both connectors installed. When i tried it on laptop it said I had to uninstall the existing connector (iirc) :unsure: