vinylfreak

Finally! Out with the Old in with the New!

vinylfreak

Im finally at the point where I can finally start to order parts for my new HTPC Upgrade.

Here's what I have so far.

CPU

Motherboard

OS Drives (2 / Raid 0 )

I'm starting to get pumped!!

:D

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Im finally at the point where I can finally start to order parts for my new HTPC Upgrade.

Here's what I have so far.

CPU

Motherboard

OS Drives (2 / Raid 0 )

I'm starting to get pumped!!

:D

Do you really mean Raid 0 (striped)? Or do you mean Raid 1 (mirrored)?

Nice MB and CPU.

With that much horsepower are you going to do any virtualization? If yes, what is the host OS going to be?

vinylfreak

Do you really mean Raid 0 (striped)? Or do you mean Raid 1 (mirrored)?

Nice MB and CPU.

With that much horsepower are you going to do any virtualization? If yes, what is the host OS going to be?

Yes, I meant Raid 0 (striped), I have been a big fan of striping my OS drive since 2005.

I am really looking forward to the speed increases using the 6gb Sata ports.

Not planning on doing any virtualization , but in addition to using the box as my HTPC I also do alot of Photoshop (Elements) and Adobe Premiere.

The host OS will be 64 bit 7 Ultimate.

The other thing I'm really excited about, is that my old CPU and MB (Lynfield i7 860) from my current HTPC will eventually become my New WHS 2011 box. (Still waiting on funding) B)

timekills

Yes, I meant Raid 0 (striped), I have been a big fan of striping my OS drive since 2005.

Not planning on doing any virtualization , but in addition to using the box as my HTPC I also do alot of Photoshop (Elements) and Adobe Premiere.

The other thing I'm really excited about, is that my old CPU and MB (Lynfield i7 860) from my current HTPC will eventually become my New WHS 2011 box. (Still waiting on funding) B)

Man. I'd love to see your specs for a video/graphics workstation if those are your HTPC hardware requirements. I think I have a Cray somewhere we can get you a timeshare on...

:P

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I get it now, this is for a desktop. I completely agree with striping on a desktop. I striped to SSD's for my desktop. When I originally posted I thougt this was for a server.

For my server I went with Raid 1, well, the rest is in my sig (2nd line).

pcdoc

Very nice. Good choices on all the components. Just ordered the UD4 version of that board. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

vinylfreak

Man. I'd love to see your specs for a video/graphics workstation if those are your HTPC hardware requirements. I think I have a Cray somewhere we can get you a timeshare on...

:P

LOL!

Yah, I like to give myself a little cushion. ;)

In all honesty though, I'm a little different.... I do 99% of all my computing on my HTPC.

vinylfreak

Very nice. Good choices on all the components. Just ordered the UD4 version of that board. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Thanks Doc!

Really looking forward to this build.

Hoping to share some photos as I progress through it.

timekills

I noticed the UD3H version is supposed to support Virtu. I assume the board does not have to have the onboard graphics output for the chipset to still "work" with the onboard graphics?

Why not include an HDMI for the Z68 boards? I'm sure most people purchasing this chipset will add a discrete graphics card, but I'd like to try it for the caching with a small SSD for an HTPC using the integrated graphics, with the option to move to Virtu capability later.

pcdoc

I noticed the UD3H version is supposed to support Virtu. I assume the board does not have to have the onboard graphics output for the chipset to still "work" with the onboard graphics?

Why not include an HDMI for the Z68 boards? I'm sure most people purchasing this chipset will add a discrete graphics card, but I'd like to try it for the caching with a small SSD for an HTPC using the integrated graphics, with the option to move to Virtu capability later.

Not sure I understand the rationale for some of the decisions they make. They should included HDMI on every board to give you the option. For me I just wanted the board as I am tiring of the Asus and its quirkiness. Little annoying things that should not happen. Going back to Gigabyte as the other system I have has been absolutely rock solid which is more than I can say for Asus. The Virtu sounds OK on paper but right it does not appear ready for prime time and has too many compromises. In the future who knows but I will probably be on a new socket and chipset by then. If you give a shot let me know how it turns out.