RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows LiveMesh, how are you using it?

Guest no-control

Guest no-control

I've had windows live mesh installed for about 2 weeks now and haven't had the time to really get into it. I've been using DropBox pretty heavily to store work projects between home and office as well as some items that would normally reside on the WHS but I need offsite access to.

Live Mesh looks a bit more robust. But I need ideas for finding a use for it. Especially in relaltion to my WHS. Help me think out of the DropBox!

sorry posted in wrong forum...supposed to go in questions

I use Live Mesh heavily for remote access to my PC's. It's a little slow but works great for the most part. It works like VNC where you have access to the remote system as opposed to RDP. Like you I use DropBox for my file sharing. I'm just used to it I guess and it works great so I see no reason to switch.

Just install it and you're good to go. I use it as the primary method of accessing the server. It stopped working 2 days ago for me though. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I support 8 PC at our church (about 10 miles away) that I use mesh on to remote in and do updates and fixes. Very handy for this. Still don't really use the storage options much.

I have been a big fan of MESH since day one, and use it to emulate sitting down in front of any PC's. I have a bunch of PC's on Mesh; from my Mother in law who is a crazed web-mama who cannot stand to be without her Internet a single minute to a few of my home pc's and other supported pc's.

I have yet to put WHS on it, but I could, I just have not had the need. It's abilities to transfer files and cut/paste capabilities are simply nice.

I recommend it to all, take the time to try it, you will love it.

TheGuy

Unlike most above, I use it for the file functionality. I use it to keep files synchronized between five or six different laptops/desktops. Some files, like those related to logon details (ie desktop, favorites, RRS Feeds, etc), are on every machine, however most is only on two machines (ie work files between my work laptop and home desktop). I did try the remote in once and it was fine but I use the WHS functionality as I like it better.

I would give up my home server before I would give up mesh. It may be my favorite app of all time.