RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

DLNA Library

mangis

Hi Guys

Another stupid question.

Where does WHS 2011 get the media that it shares over DLNA. Is it the server's media library ? Only reason I ask is that it is sharing only about half my media - the items in the standard windows share folders. The thing is these shares haven't been added to my libraries so I don't know where it was getting the data from. Other shares I have created show up as shared folders - even on my Kaiser Baas media player - but they aren't accessable via DLNA.

Hi Guys

Another stupid question.

Where does WHS 2011 get the media that it shares over DLNA. Is it the server's media library ? Only reason I ask is that it is sharing only about half my media - the items in the standard windows share folders. The thing is these shares haven't been added to my libraries so I don't know where it was getting the data from. Other shares I have created show up as shared folders - even on my Kaiser Baas media player - but they aren't accessable via DLNA.

It should be whatever you went it and tagged as media in the media setup which would include the default folders plus ones you defined as media and media type.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1697884

I'm having a similar issue.

I have a Denon 3310 CI. It will play my music library directly from my Music share. I use the Music streaming feature for zone 2 on my patio. On WHS v1 I had to install Twonky (hated it, but it worked for this situation)for the Denon to see my Music share. I worked & ALL my music (.mp3 & FLAC) played great.

Now on WHS 2011, It sees my Server Music, BUT ONLY .mp3's! 85% of my Music Library is ripped to FLAC, which the Denon supports & plays great.

On my HTPC's I install madFLAC audio decoder and WMP tag plus so WMP12 & WMC play my FLAC audio great. With WHS 2011, it is using the Media server application, which is not supporting my FLAC rips?

Why can't (or how can) I just push My Music share (without using the Media Streamer) to my Denon?

I have not attempted to install madFLAC & WMP Tag Plus on the server as I would prefer not to Hack it up if possible.

I almost bought a Logitech Squeezebox radio for my garage. It plays FLAC audio streamed, BUT how do I get WHS 2011 to show FLAC? I'm not willing to copy all my Music to one of my Windows 7 systems, just to share Music properly. :-(

Anyone streaming FLAC from a WHS 2011 box? How?

Edited by st3lvio

• 1 month later...

I'm having a similar issue.

I have a Denon 3310 CI. It will play my music library directly from my Music share. I use the Music streaming feature for zone 2 on my patio. On WHS v1 I had to install Twonky (hated it, but it worked for this situation)for the Denon to see my Music share. I worked & ALL my music (.mp3 & FLAC) played great.

Now on WHS 2011, It sees my Server Music, BUT ONLY .mp3's! 85% of my Music Library is ripped to FLAC, which the Denon supports & plays great.

On my HTPC's I install madFLAC audio decoder and WMP tag plus so WMP12 & WMC play my FLAC audio great. With WHS 2011, it is using the Media server application, which is not supporting my FLAC rips?

Why can't (or how can) I just push My Music share (without using the Media Streamer) to my Denon?

I have not attempted to install madFLAC & WMP Tag Plus on the server as I would prefer not to Hack it up if possible.

I almost bought a Logitech Squeezebox radio for my garage. It plays FLAC audio streamed, BUT how do I get WHS 2011 to show FLAC? I'm not willing to copy all my Music to one of my Windows 7 systems, just to share Music properly. :-(

Anyone streaming FLAC from a WHS 2011 box? How?

st3lvio

Did you get an answer to this question? I am looking to move to FLAC.

Thanks

st3lvio

Did you get an answer to this question? I am looking to move to FLAC.

Thanks

Nope-

I'm testing the DNLA server that comes with J.River Media Center.

I really like that my DVDA 5.1 FLAC rips are now sounding as they should, using WASAPI. This is something WMC fails at in a big way.

It also with transcode FLAC on the fly to my XBOX360 in extender mode.

But, no WHS2011 will NOT show my FLAC audio rips (90%) of my Music library.

Give J.River Media Center a look. I'm using it just for Audio in full screen mode and it blows away WMC on my HTPC.

Nope-

I'm testing the DNLA server that comes with J.River Media Center.

I really like that my DVDA 5.1 FLAC rips are now sounding as they should, using WASAPI. This is something WMC fails at in a big way.

It also with transcode FLAC on the fly to my XBOX360 in extender mode.

But, no WHS2011 will NOT show my FLAC audio rips (90%) of my Music library.

Give J.River Media Center a look. I'm using it just for Audio in full screen mode and it blows away WMC on my HTPC.

Did you try installing tag support on 2011? I have not tried it, I thought I would ask first.

Did you try installing tag support on 2011? I have not tried it, I thought I would ask first.

No I have not. As I stated in an above post:

"I have not attempted to install madFLAC & WMP Tag Plus on the server as I would prefer not to Hack it up if possible."

• 5 months later...

A friend of my bought a NAIM .flac player (ND5 XS) in combination with a Windows Home Server 2011 (WHS 2011). After a day struggling we got everything working except for the .flac playing through the NAIM. We could see the UPnP in the list of devices and the iPod and mp3 files but NOT the .flac. After 10 hours working and installing we called it a day.

Today we did quite a bit of Googling and got it working.

In understanding UPnP and it related problems this "superuser"site article helped a lot. Also did a provide it a direction for where to find the solution

Here is how we did it:

- downloaded the dbpoweramp WHS UPnP installation, tried to install it and it did not work. (Error message: This is not a WHS server :( )

- downloaded the dbpoweramp W7 installation and installed it on the WHS 2011. This installation does NOT show up as an "installed add-in", whoever is does work.

At the NAIM you will get (eventually) the Assest UPnP in the list of availble sources. Through here you can play the .flac files from the ND5 XS.

Some people told us to disable / uninstall the WHS UPnP. As far as I can see now this is NOT needed. I'm a bit carefull for uninstalling / disabling the WHS UPnP service because I assume that WHS relies on the service to be running.

Next step will be installing the RipNAS. However given the fact that the UPnP did not work with the WHAS 2011 version I'm a bit sceptical on that. Second step will be connecting an USB CD/DVD reader through an USB->UTP->USB cable.

If any one has any advice on this two steps ..............

Paul Bender

PS has anybody any tips on how to access, operate and configure the ND5 XS through a webbrowser? You can remotely control it with an "app" but the webpage does ONLY give the IP configuration (an a wee bit more) but NO configuration options. This has to be done through the frontdisplay of the ND5 XS which sounds a bit stupid if you got a webserver running on the machine

No I have not. As I stated in an above post:

"I have not attempted to install madFLAC & WMP Tag Plus on the server as I would prefer not to Hack it up if possible."

I'm thinking it's worth a try. It seems to make some sense that WHS can't stream FLAC it it doesn't have a codec to 1) make it aware that FLAC is a music format and 2) tell it how to treat the FLAC files.