RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Order some parts finally

Dennis Heinle

Saw some deals on Newegg today and bought the first round of parts.

1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x Thermaltake Armor A60 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis With Cable Management Water Cooling SSD Support And Tool-Less Installation VM20001W2Z

1 x LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

Now I just need to make it to Micocenter to pick up an i5-2500k and 8gb of ram.

Dennis

Saw some deals on Newegg today and bought the first round of parts.

1 x OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

1 x GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

1 x Thermaltake Armor A60 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis With Cable Management Water Cooling SSD Support And Tool-Less Installation VM20001W2Z

1 x LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

Now I just need to make it to Micocenter to pick up an i5-2500k and 8gb of ram.

Dennis

Nice choices on all your parts selection. After using Asus and Gigabyte recently, I can say without reservation that the Gigabyte is far more stable and less problematic than the Asus. The only caution I will offer you is you may not be happy with the Thermaltake case. They tend to be a bit tinny and are not always quiet. This a new series and have not tried these yet but look at closely before you put it together. It looks pretty cool and has some nice features but I am going on past experience. I would be curious to know what you think of it when you get it together. Great build overall and good luck with it.

I have 4 x 1tb drives from my old box and 2 new x 2tb drives and a 256gb ssd to play with. I am going to test the Intel rapid response and see if it works or not. I got the Z68 board for $99 yesterday on sale and wanted to try the SSD caching.

Thanks for the input on the case, I was just looking for something nice with side-loaded drives and I don't my boxes apart very often. I'll let you know how it works out.

I have 4 x 1tb drives from my old box and 2 new x 2tb drives and a 256gb ssd to play with. I am going to test the Intel rapid response and see if it works or not. I got the Z68 board for $99 yesterday on sale and wanted to try the SSD caching.

Thanks for the input on the case, I was just looking for something nice with side-loaded drives and I don't my boxes apart very often. I'll let you know how it works out.

Remember the SSD caching max is 64 Gig. If you got a 256, put it on your desktop where it will do the most good. I would not used SSD caching on RAID, but that is just me.