RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2008R2 + Icydock MB982SPR-2S + Highpoint 2720

timekills

Hardware background: Core i3, Asus P7H55-M Pro mobo, 8GB RAM

Hard drives:

a] OS: RAID 1 on Icydock MB982SPR-2S consists of 2 x 160GB Samsung 2.5" drives

b] Data: RAID 5 on HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 consists of 5 x Samsung F4 HD2040UI 2TB in RAID plus one (1) Seagate 2Tb (as hot swap)

c] Extra Data (critical data mirror/VHDs): 1.5 TB Seagate

Also have one BluRay burner (LiteOn, SATA)

The OS mirror and 1.5 TB Seagate attach to motherboard SATA ports (Intel). The RAID5 of course is via PCI-X slot.

Problem: When beginning installation of Server 2008R2, it finds the various drives/arrays but when I select the IcyDock array to install I get the "setup unable to create a new system partition" error.

Solution: remove ALL other drives and leave only array you wish to install OS to. At least, remove all other arrays.

I first unplugged the 1.5 TB Seagate from the mobo, and still got the error. Once I pulled the 2720 from the PCI-X slot I was able to successfully install 2008R2 to the IcyDock RAID1 array.

Bonus is that during the multiple reboots I didn't have to wait for the 2720 BIOS to intialize. :)

I am going to try one other solution if I get really motivated - to flash the 2720 with the BIOS update that does not include the INT13h. This prevents it from being used as a boot device, but may also remove the boot conflict.

Edited by timekills

Agreed. Install the OS on the IcyDock adapter with no other drives installed. Fine tune the OS and then start adding storage.

Your setup is very similar to mine (same MOBO and CPU) except I have 4 drives in the RAID 5 array and will be adding a RAID 1 mirror for additional protection of critical data...almost typed mission critical data...some habits are dying hard.

I plan to see a portable drive and carry ti to the States next month and try to use LogMeIn Himachi to see if I can sync the critical data with my server there.

Well first off quit plugging your PCIe card into the PCI-X slot!

;)

does the 2720 even come in a pci-x version?

Doh. Parallel, serial, extended, express, how do you expect me to remember these things. It's not like it's my job or anything.

Wait. Damnit. It is my job.

I guess you can take away my A+ card now. :P

facepalm-demotivational-poster-1226799057.jpg

Edited by timekills

Hardware background: Core i3, Asus P7H55-M Pro mobo, 8GB RAM

Hard drives:

a] OS: RAID 1 on Icydock MB982SPR-2S consists of 2 x 160GB Samsung 2.5" drives

b] Data: RAID 5 on HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 consists of 5 x Samsung F4 HD2040UI 2TB in RAID plus one (1) Seagate 2Tb (as hot swap)

c] Extra Data (critical data mirror/VHDs): 1.5 TB Seagate

Also have one BluRay burner (LiteOn, SATA)

The OS mirror and 1.5 TB Seagate attach to motherboard SATA ports (Intel). The RAID5 of course is via PCI-X slot.

Problem: When beginning installation of Server 2008R2, it finds the various drives/arrays but when I select the IcyDock array to install I get the "setup unable to create a new system partition" error.

Solution: remove ALL other drives and leave only array you wish to install OS to. At least, remove all other arrays.

I first unplugged the 1.5 TB Seagate from the mobo, and still got the error. Once I pulled the 2720 from the PCI-X slot I was able to successfully install 2008R2 to the IcyDock RAID1 array.

Bonus is that during the multiple reboots I didn't have to wait for the 2720 BIOS to intialize. :)

I am going to try one other solution if I get really motivated - to flash the 2720 with the BIOS update that does not include the INT13h. This prevents it from being used as a boot device, but may also remove the boot conflict.

I am surprised that this was an issue at all. I assume you set the boot order and priority in the BIOS? For the server application, the updated BIOS for the card is actually helpful since it will not be used for booting. Nice setup you put together there.

I am surprised that this was an issue at all. I assume you set the boot order and priority in the BIOS? For the server application, the updated BIOS for the card is actually helpful since it will not be used for booting. Nice setup you put together there.

Yes, boot order is/was IcyDock (seen as JMicron RAID1), then optical, then USB. I did not add a fourth option; i.e. disabled PXE boot, other onboard PATA and SATA ports and Highpoint card.

Windows saw the drive, allowed me to delete, add, format the 160GB into whatever partition(s) I chose, but whenever I selected it to install the OS, it said it couldn't. I'd seen the problem before with Win7 getting...confused...with other dynamic and/or RAID partitions available.

Once I get the data off the RAID so I can afford to mess with it I'm going to flash without the INT13h and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, and move it from my circa 2001 PCI-X slot. *cough*

Yes, boot order is/was IcyDock (seen as JMicron RAID1), then optical, then USB. I did not add a fourth option; i.e. disabled PXE boot, other onboard PATA and SATA ports and Highpoint card.

Windows saw the drive, allowed me to delete, add, format the 160GB into whatever partition(s) I chose, but whenever I selected it to install the OS, it said it couldn't. I'd seen the problem before with Win7 getting...confused...with other dynamic and/or RAID partitions available.

Once I get the data off the RAID so I can afford to mess with it I'm going to flash without the INT13h and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, and move it from my circa 2001 PCI-X slot. *cough*

Boot and install worked with RAID card installed but flashed with INT13h disabled.