RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is this too much overkill

Dennis Heinle

For $50 off that's a good deal. Since it's 80% power effecient, you won't be wasting power that's not needed. Also, I like that it has modular cables, much cleaner. :)

Looking at this new PSU for a z68 / i2500k box with 4-6 drives.

It's a steal of deal, 80% certified and modular.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341018

It is too much overkill? Should I look for a 500watt psu that costs more?

I've never used an OCZ PSU, but it's a good brand so I would hope their PSUs are good too. Re: the overkill: I've never quite understood the argument that you should only buy a PSU that has a little more than you need. It's not like it's going to waste power because it has more capacity. It will only pass thru as much power as the mobo and other devices want; wattage isn't pushed, it's pulled. The danger comes in having a PSU that doesn't have enough capacity and burns out trying to meet the demand. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the responses! They also have a 600 watt for the same price. Guess I will go with the 700 then, just in case.

Dennis

I just installed the 550w in my 2011 box and it rock solid. Quiet and efficient. OCZ must be discontinuing this model as I see it is a $1 cheaper at Sears.

Looking at this new PSU for a z68 / i2500k box with 4-6 drives.

It's a steal of deal, 80% certified and modular.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

It is too much overkill? Should I look for a 500watt psu that costs more?

I have used several of the OCZ supplies before and happen to have one on my floor here that I bought for a spare (500w that I picked up for $55). Had I seen the 700 watt I would have got that. They are not bad supplies and I have not had any issues although I only use them once in awhile. For this price it is a no brainer and it will work fine even if you do not need that much power. They are efficient so it should not be an issue. Overkill? A bit, but for the price I would do it as you give up nothing. Good lucl.

You'll never regret getting too large a power supply, but always one that's too small.