RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setup for SSD?

RonZimmerman

I'm building a HTPC using Win 7 64bit Home Premium, a 2T Samsung Hard Drive for storage, i3 2100, ASRockASROCK|H67M-GE/HT, and my first ever SSD, a Crucial 64G CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1, for OS and programs. I intend to keep the programs to a minimum. I will have TMT3, and virtual clone drive for blu-rays. I've been reading on what to do to optimize the drive, but I have read several conflicting ideas so I am checking with the experts on the latest and greatest gouge. These are som eof the things I have read.

1. It will be a clean install so trim should be enabled by default and defrag disabled.

2. I'll check its using SATA port 0 and ACHI.

3. Disable sytem restore.

4. Disable hibernation.

5. Turn superfetch and prefetch off.

6. Move the page file to the spinning drive or turn it off.

7. Use the microsoft driver as it is Trim compliant and others are not.

What do you recommend to get the best performance and time out of my brand new SSD?

I'm building a HTPC using Win 7 64bit Home Premium, a 2T Samsung Hard Drive for storage, i3 2100, ASRockASROCK|H67M-GE/HT, and my first ever SSD, a Crucial 64G CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1, for OS and programs. I intend to keep the programs to a minimum. I will have TMT3, and virtual clone drive for blu-rays. I've been reading on what to do to optimize the drive, but I have read several conflicting ideas so I am checking with the experts on the latest and greatest gouge. These are som eof the things I have read.

1. It will be a clean install so trim should be enabled by default and defrag disabled.

2. I'll check its using SATA port 0 and ACHI.

3. Disable sytem restore.

4. Disable hibernation.

5. Turn superfetch and prefetch off.

6. Move the page file to the spinning drive or turn it off.

7. Use the microsoft driver as it is Trim compliant and others are not.

What do you recommend to get the best performance and time out of my brand new SSD?

Analogs post has some great suggestions and covers everything. The only items I do and think are critical are 1, 2, 4, and 5. The only comment is fix the swap file (min and max the same) at about 2 Gig. The rest are not harmful but I find them unnecessary. Overall some great instructions here. You should not have to do anymore than this. Remember if you are recording or watching live TV to move you recording location off the SSD. Good luck and enjoy.

I ended up turning off hibernation and moving the paging and temp files to the spindle drive. Left everything else alone and it has been working great now for a few months.

Guest no-control

Install the the ssd on SATA0, set bios/efi to ACHI. Nothing else needs to be done. W7 will automatically enable trim, disable defrag superfetch/prefetch. Let windows update handle your drivers. Moving page file IMO is still a non-issue if your system has at least 4+ GB. I don't do it anymore & haven't seen any performance loss.

Short story install drive, install os, you're done!

I loaded everything up and tried to folow all the tips. When I changed the UEFI from IDE to ACHI I got a blue screen with all kinds of scary things and I message saying windows can't start. I switched back to IDE and no problem.

I loaded everything up and tried to folow all the tips. When I changed the UEFI from IDE to ACHI I got a blue screen with all kinds of scary things and I message saying windows can't start. I switched back to IDE and no problem.

I believe there are some settings you can set to trick windows into accepting ahci. Just search for it online.

Guest no-control

That because you need to set the board to AHCI BEFORE you install the o/s.

Clean install is the proper fix. But you can monkey with the registry to fix it.

How to enable AHCI if you already installed Windows using IDE.

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, right click and choose run as administrator.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci

5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor

Restart, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When Windows starts, you'll see AHCI drivers loading.

One more restart to finish the driver installation.