RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2720

timekills

You can add your mirror array from the motherboard connectors as I know that will work. I am very surprized to hear about the Highpoint as well. When the right strikes, I will get 3x3T and give it a shot on my 2740 and 2680.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

Just thought I'd update that with 5x2TB (Samsung 5400RPM low powers) I'm getting around 460-470 MB/sec writes and as fast as 500+MB/sec reads. Of course, the write speed is assisted by the card caching, which is why it hits its peak sooner and stays there.

Still impressing me. SATA3 seems like a better deal now.

HP%20Rocketraid%202720%20with%205x2TB%20Samsung%205400RPM%20drives%20RAID5.png

Nice, very nice. Great benchmarks. 8T at SSD speeds, cant beat it. I just bout a 6gig card myself and look forward to giving it shot.

Nice, very nice. Great benchmarks. 8T at SSD speeds, cant beat it. I just bout a 6gig card myself and look forward to giving it shot.

Which card did you buy?

Just thought I'd update that with 5x2TB (Samsung 5400RPM low powers) I'm getting around 460-470 MB/sec writes and as fast as 500+MB/sec reads. Of course, the write speed is assisted by the card caching, which is why it hits its peak sooner and stays there.

Still impressing me. SATA3 seems like a better deal now.

Is this on the 2720?

Is this the new direction for spinning hard disk improvement? Over the past decade or so it's been the astounding increase in capacity. Is the new direction going to be similar increases in throughput? It does seems that capacity growth is slowing (I think the manufacturers are getting close to the limits of what's possible with current materials for spinning drives, similar to what CPU makers have run into with silicon).

Which card did you buy?

Is this on the 2720?

Yep, the 2720. Have not put it in yet and I have got 6 gig drives yet.

Is this on the 2720?

Yes, RAID5 on the 2720, with 5x2TB "low power" Samsung drives giving me, as PCDoc stated 8TB usable space. Real world access is not as responsive as SSDs of course, due to the mechanical overhead of the spindles and the relatively slower access to small files, but this array is used primarily for large photos and video files so it flies through those.

Thanks everyone.

So buy the SGL version and 8 SATA cables?

Yes, buy the SGL version and save yourself almost $100. You can't use the bundled cables anyways.

You don't buy any SATA cables, as the card has two SAS connectors. You need two SAS -> 4-SATA adapter breakout cables.

Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male w/ Latch to SATA 7pin Female (x4) Forward Breakout Cable

Monoprice has the best option that I could find:

Monoprice 0.5m

Monoprice 0.75m

Monoprice 1.0m

Edited by bondisdead

So has anyone determined if the 2720 can handle 3TB drives? BIOS 1.2 states:

v1.2 07/04/2011

* Add support HDD over 2T to create array.

* Add support RR2711.