RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2720

timekills

Just keep in mind that it is not DE. When you do any of this the array will have to rebuild and it will take time and you will have some degraded performance during the rebuild. It is just me but I would not use a stripe in a home server, I would go for one extra drive and possibly save lots of grief in the future.

I agree...even with my basic knowledge of Raid I wouldn't risk any of my data with Raid 0. I am currently using the 2680 with five drives in Raid 5 with 8Tb of useable data for my video rips. I am considering either having a drive on standby in the event of a failure or inserting a drive as a hot spare.

Remember, I will be replicating all of the data to an external multi-drive enclosure AND also backing up to hard drives in a USB3 dock for offsite storage. There is little chance I will lose anything I can't recover from one backup or another.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

I agree...even with my basic knowledge of Raid I wouldn't risk any of my data with Raid 0. I am currently using the 2680 with five drives in Raid 5 with 8Tb of useable data for my video rips. I am considering either having a drive on standby in the event of a failure or inserting a drive as a hot spare.

I thought heavily about the hot spare vs one on the shelf. My suggestion is to use a hot spare for a month or so to make sure the spare drive works, then shelf it to avoid the wear and tear.

I thought heavily about the hot spare vs one on the shelf. My suggestion is to use a hot spare for a month or so to make sure the spare drive works, then shelf it to avoid the wear and tear.

I agree. I plan to have a spare on the shelf. If I was doing it for work I would demand hot sparing, but not for home — I can stand to be down for a bit if necessary.

This is a good idea...I know I want to have a spare drive in the house in the event of a failure. I don't want to be without a spare drive to rebuild the array in the event on a drive failure and it would be good to know the spare drive does work.

Tim

Recently bought and installed the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720. Had planned on going with the 2680's that seem to be a favorite on here, but the price plus 6Gbps speed pushed me to the 2720.

If you have any problems installing the WebGUI software, ensure your IE has enhanced protection turned off. EVEN IF you are using a different browser as your main browser. I had Chrome installed and it was my main browser but the management software wouldn't finish installation, forget running it.

Had a question about disabling the IE Enhanced protection. See notes on how to do it in WHS v1, but not for WHS 2011.

I have built a five drive Raid5 using the RocketRaid 2720SGL. Got two SFF-8087 SAS to SATA 7-pin Forward Breakout 0.5m Cables at monoprice for about $8 each, and am not using OCE to add two more drives to expand the RAID from 8TB to 12TB. It's been a painfully slow process to transfer data from WHS v1 to my new server, and this will now take about 16 hours to finish (or so it claims). Unfortunately, I have been having problems with the browsers due to these security features. I have not got IE to work at all, but Chrome has been okay to a point. However, it will just go away, and I cannot log in again. I now have no status as to what is going on during the OCE rebuild! Argh...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ALL,

I know this is another topic, but I did not want to open a new thread for the same card - said that, I would like to point out that, the RR27xx series is not yet compatible with any 3TB drives, yes it will recognize the the drive but will drop it the next time the system boot. I am with their tech support and the last word is, they are working on new BIOS update.

I built my RAID-5 array with 3 (3TB) drives, and every time the system boot, I lose a drive, the RAID become "Critical" then it rebuild itself, and cycle goes on. I will update you when a fix is at hand.

the RR27xx series is not yet compatible with any 3TB drives,

not sure if anyone pointed this out before but thanks for doing it; good info to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ALL,

I know this is another topic, but I did not want to open a new thread for the same card - said that, I would like to point out that, the RR27xx series is not yet compatible with any 3TB drives, yes it will recognize the the drive but will drop it the next time the system boot. I am with their tech support and the last word is, they are working on new BIOS update.

I built my RAID-5 array with 3 (3TB) drives, and every time the system boot, I lose a drive, the RAID become "Critical" then it rebuild itself, and cycle goes on. I will update you when a fix is at hand.

Curious if this is still true...considering adding a 2x3TB mirror as a second array. Their site, as well as the NewEgg writeup both make special emphasis of the point that they are supposed to be compatible with 3TB drives.