• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• timekills

I have a 3ware 9650SE-4LPML card just sitting here. What do people think of using for my WHS2011?

Edited by ikon

I'd think it would work well; offloading the RAID to the card is always good, if not always faster. I have no personal experience with that card however.

I'd think it would work well; offloading the RAID to the card is always good, if not always faster. I have no personal experience with that card however.

I've had excellent results using the Windows Server striping. I've been able to move it from WHSv1 to 2011 and back, and to a Win7 box. I just import the volume to the new box and it brings it in, including the drive letter I used. But there are some considerations: http://homeserversho...panned-volumes/

I've had excellent results using the Windows Server striping. I've been able to move it from WHSv1 to 2011 and back, and to a Win7 box. I just import the volume to the new box and it brings it in, including the drive letter I used. But there are some considerations: http://homeserversho...panned-volumes/

As long as you are within the same chipset it should be fine. Have you tried moving it to an older or new chipset? Out of curiosity, why are you stripping in a server application beside speed? No concern of data loss?

As long as you are within the same chipset it should be fine. Have you tried moving it to an older or new chipset? Out of curiosity, why are you stripping in a server application beside speed? No concern of data loss?

Definitely not the same chipsets in the systems. I'm striping mostly to create a large volume, but it's nice to have the speed too.

Data loss won't be much of an issue because a scheduled task will RoboCopy the data to a 4-drive external enclosure every night. In addition, every day I will run a manual RoboCopy batch file that will copy the data to a USB3 dual dock. This routine is almost identical to the one I currently use and it's working really well. It ain't broke so.....

Definitely not the same chipsets in the systems. I'm striping mostly to create a large volume, but it's nice to have the speed too.

Data loss won't be much of an issue because a scheduled task will RoboCopy the data to a 4-drive external enclosure every night. In addition, every day I will run a manual RoboCopy batch file that will copy the data to a USB3 dual dock. This routine is almost identical to the one I currently use and it's working really well. It ain't broke so.....

Works for me. Thanks for the response and enjoy the speed.

Bad news. It appears the 3ware 9650SE does not allow permit adding/removing drives to a RAID0 array (or 'unit' as they call it).This kinda spoils any plans to utilize it for whs2011.

Can those of you who are using one, please confirm that a 2720 permits the following:

1. build a 2-drive RAID0 array

2. later on, add a 3rd, 4th, or 5th, etc. drive to the array

3. if needed, remove any drive from the array for replacement/maintenance

It would need to do this without destroying the data, much like Drive Extender. I realize it might take some time while it rebuilds (just like DE) but it should be able to do it.

Bad news. It appears the 3ware 9650SE does not allow permit adding/removing drives to a RAID0 array (or 'unit' as they call it).This kinda spoils any plans to utilize it for whs2011.

Can those of you who are using one, please confirm that a 2720 permits the following:

1. build a 2-drive RAID0 array

2. later on, add a 3rd, 4th, or 5th, etc. drive to the array

3. if needed, remove any drive from the array for replacement/maintenance

It would need to do this without destroying the data, much like Drive Extender. I realize it might take some time while it rebuilds (just like DE) but it should be able to do it.

1. Two drive array are supported by this for Raid 0/1. For mirrors I would use your motherboard.

2. This card like the 2680 support OCE (Online capacity expansion) which lets you add a drive to the array (again the warning about using the same type of drives). Also you will have to keep the same raid level. You can not start with 2 as a stripe or mirror and expect to convert to raid 5 but you can expand your stripe (at least not that I am aware of).

3. Just pull and replace any drive and it will rebuild the array for you (raid 5 or 1 only). There is a drive and array removal supported but I have not tried it. This card also supports hot spare so it allows you to always have a spare attached in the even of a drive failure, the array will drop the bad drive and rebuild using the spare.

Just keep in mind that it is not DE. When you do any of this the array will have to rebuild and it will take time and you will have some degraded performance during the rebuild. It is just me but I would not use a stripe in a home server, I would go for one extra drive and possibly save lots of grief in the future.

1. Two drive array are supported by this for Raid 0/1. For mirrors I would use your motherboard.

2. This card like the 2680 support OCE (Online capacity expansion) which lets you add a drive to the array (again the warning about using the same type of drives). Also you will have to keep the same raid level. You can not start with 2 as a stripe or mirror and expect to convert to raid 5 but you can expand your stripe (at least not that I am aware of).

3. Just pull and replace any drive and it will rebuild the array for you (raid 5 or 1 only). There is a drive and array removal supported but I have not tried it. This card also supports hot spare so it allows you to always have a spare attached in the even of a drive failure, the array will drop the bad drive and rebuild using the spare.

Just keep in mind that it is not DE. When you do any of this the array will have to rebuild and it will take time and you will have some degraded performance during the rebuild. It is just me but I would not use a stripe in a home server, I would go for one extra drive and possibly save lots of grief in the future.

I agree...even with my basic knowledge of Raid I wouldn't risk any of my data with Raid 0. I am currently using the 2680 with five drives in Raid 5 with 8Tb of useable data for my video rips. I am considering either having a drive on standby in the event of a failure or inserting a drive as a hot spare.