RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2720

timekills

Recently bought and installed the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720. Had planned on going with the 2680's that seem to be a favorite on here, but the price plus 6Gbps speed pushed me to the 2720.

Very fast, even though the (currently) three Samsung 2TB dives are only 5400 RPM/SATA2. Getting around 275MB/sec writes and 266MB/sec read. Have three more of the Samsung drives to add to it as I migrate data off of them.

Using it in my V1; will convert to WHS2011 eventually. Still deciding if I want to go the server2008R2 and virtual WHS/Win7 route. To that end, I used 512KB clusters since I think the VHDs still require them.

If you have any problems installing the WebGUI software, ensure your IE has enhanced protection turned off. EVEN IF you are using a different browser as your main browser. I had Chrome installed and it was my main browser but the management software wouldn't finish installation, forget running it.

BIOS was updated and you can choose to enable or disable int13h support (it is enabled by default). If you have any boot conflicts and you are not booting off the card, you might want to try disabling the in13h support so it won't be seen by the mobo as a bootable device. I've had no problems but I've heard some Gigabyte boards and/or if multiple RAID cards are used they can cause conflicts.

I'll update as use progresses, but so far seems like a great buy.

P.S. using the Highpoint 1m SAS to SATA cables for these drives. Also ordered a 1 into 4 SAS to SATA .5 meter cable from Adaptec which cost a little more but should help cable clutter. I haven't installed that one yet but I'll update when I do.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• timekills

• pcdoc

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

Recently bought and installed the HighPoint RocketRaid 2720. Had planned on going with the 2680's that seem to be a favorite on here, but the price plus 6Gbps speed pushed me to the 2720.

Very fast, even though the (currently) three Samsung 2TB dives are only 5400 RPM/SATA2. Getting around 275MB/sec writes and 266MB/sec read. Have three more of the Samsung drives to add to it as I migrate data off of them.

Using it in my V1; will convert to WHS2011 eventually. Still deciding if I want to go the server2008R2 and virtual WHS/Win7 route. To that end, I used 512KB clusters since I think the VHDs still require them.

If you have any problems installing the WebGUI software, ensure your IE has enhanced protection turned off. EVEN IF you are using a different browser as your main browser. I had Chrome installed and it was my main browser but the management software wouldn't finish installation, forget running it.

BIOS was updated and you can choose to enable or disable int13h support (it is enabled by default). If you have any boot conflicts and you are not booting off the card, you might want to try disabling the in13h support so it won't be seen by the mobo as a bootable device. I've had no problems but I've heard some Gigabyte boards and/or if multiple RAID cards are used they can cause conflicts.

I'll update as use progresses, but so far seems like a great buy.

P.S. using the Highpoint 1m SAS to SATA cables for these drives. Also ordered a 1 into 4 SAS to SATA .5 meter cable from Adaptec which cost a little more but should help cable clutter. I haven't installed that one yet but I'll update when I do.

Nice card. Recently saw this one. Where did you pick this card up for a good price? The egg has it for $229.

timekills

Nice card. Recently saw this one. Where did you pick this card up for a good price? The egg has it for $229.

It looks like they just brought the price back up; I got it for less but it was on one of their short time deals. I don't think it was a Shell Shocker, but I don't recall. However it was still a LOT more than the 2680's and the only difference I can see between the two is PCI-X v.2 for the SATA3 speeds. Not sure that is worth paying double as it currently costs. I'd like to see what the speed difference between the two are once you get enough drives to saturate the SATA2 limit. Since I'm using only 5400 RPM spindles, I doubt I would have had an issue with SATA2 speeds.

But SATA3 is bigger than SATA2 so it must be better. :rolleyes:

Guest no-control

one comes with fancy SFF8087 SAS cables?

The 2720SGL is the one to get and is comparable to the 2680SGL other than the 6 Gb/s.

I was going to buy the 2720SGL but opted for the cheaper 2680SGL instead. I didn't see the point of spending $40 for SATAIII for a bunch of SATAII drives.

timekills

What's the difference between the HP RR 2720 and the HP RR 2720 SGL other than the price and the low profile bracket?

It doesn't come with the 2 x SF8087 cables. Which means I basically paid $80 for two cables I don't use anyway. :angry:

Guest no-control

It doesn't come with the 2 x SF8087 cables. Which means I basically paid $80 for two cables I don't use anyway. :angry:

one comes with fancy SFF8087 SAS cables?

^^^ lol

But they look cool sitting in your spares box!

Edited by no-control
TechMule

Currently Amazon has better prices over Egg on both the 2680 ($96) and the 2720 ($127), with Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable set for $22.xx.

So the cheapest way to go (for Sata II drives) today is ...

the 2680 ($96) + 1 Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable set for $22.xx = $118.35

or go full boat and option up for Sata III drives with:

the 2720 ($127) & 2 Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable sets @ $22.xx = $171.63

I agree with just getting the 2680 if you are like most of us with a bunch of Sata II drives, but then again it's only +$30 to future proof yourself with the newer 2720 card. That said, I have no plans to start buying(replacing) Sata III drives, so I may a well save the $30.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Currently Amazon has better prices over Egg on both the 2680 ($96) and the 2720 ($127), with Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable set for $22.xx.

So the cheapest way to go (for Sata II drives) today is ...

the 2680 ($96) + 1 Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable set for $22.xx = $118.35

or go full boat and option up for Sata III drives with:

the 2720 ($127) & 2 Mini-SAS to 4SATA cable sets @ $22.xx = $171.63

I agree with just getting the 2680 if you are like most of us with a bunch of Sata II drives, but then again it's only +$30 to future proof yourself with the newer 2720 card. That said, I have no plans to start buying(replacing) Sata III drives, so I may a well save the $30.

Where are you seeing that? Cheapest I see it is $223.73.