RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Failed to Start Message When Starting WHS 2011

PCEddie

Hey All,

I am running into a problem with my next build. I am getting the message " Windows Failed to Start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause." when I shut down or restart WHS 2011. I have the option to launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

I below are the steps taken to troubleshoot the issue.

1. reinstall WHS 2011

2. check hardware setup

3. check bios settings

4. restore from backup

5. swap hard drive and reinstall WHS

6. updated bios to update 2011.05.06

The issue starts no matter if updates are installed or not installed.

I the build consists of:

ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM LGA 1155 Corporate Stable Model Intel H67 DDR3 1333

Intel Core i3 Processor i3-2100T 2.50 GHz LGA1155 CPU BX80623I32100T

Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Blue SATAII 5400RPM 2.5IN 8MB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD3200BEVT

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240-pin DDR3 Desktop Memory

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

Has anyone ran across this issue? If so what, what am I missing or overlooking.

Thanks for any assistance,

PC Eddie

Hey All,

I am running into a problem with my next build. I am getting the message " Windows Failed to Start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause." when I shut down or restart WHS 2011. I have the option to launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

I below are the steps taken to troubleshoot the issue.

1. reinstall WHS 2011

2. check hardware setup

3. check bios settings

4. restore from backup

5. swap hard drive and reinstall WHS

6. updated bios to update 2011.05.06

The issue starts no matter if updates are installed or not installed.

I the build consists of:

ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM LGA 1155 Corporate Stable Model Intel H67 DDR3 1333

Intel Core i3 Processor i3-2100T 2.50 GHz LGA1155 CPU BX80623I32100T

Western Digital 320GB Scorpio Blue SATAII 5400RPM 2.5IN 8MB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD3200BEVT

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Corsair TW3X4G1333C9 XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz Dual Channel 240-pin DDR3 Desktop Memory

Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

Has anyone ran across this issue? If so what, what am I missing or overlooking.

Thanks for any assistance,

PC Eddie

You are describing a classic hardware problem and I agree with jmwills in that it is most likely memory. Run the board on stick at a time and try both stick. If it boots correctly you have found your problem. It could be the motherboard as in a bad DIMM slot but I would put money on the DDR3.

Thanks for the response jmwills and pcdoc. I was leaning towards a hardware issue but did not know which way to go. You both are correct. I have pulled one of the RAM chips and the problem disappeared. I am running more tests throughout the day to make sure it is the RAM chip. I bought it through Amazon so I can return it all tests point to RAM.

Another issue that I came across is finding a driver for PCI Simple Communications Controller. Am I right to assume this is the on board raid controller? I have tried all the drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard and the drivers on the ASUS web site for the motherboard. It is not affecting the WHS 2011 but it is bugging me to find out what it is and to install the driver.

Thanks,

PC Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

You are right PC Doc as it was a bad stick of RAM. I got my replacement from Amazon and all is working well.

Thanks everyone for their advise.

Guest no-control

Another issue that I came across is finding a driver for PCI Simple Communications Controller. Am I right to assume this is the on board raid controller? I have tried all the drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard and the drivers on the ASUS web site for the motherboard. It is not affecting the WHS 2011 but it is bugging me to find out what it is and to install the driver.

If you go in device manager, click on the pci simple communications controller, go in property and then go in details. You will see a code that looks like this...PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

VEN is the vendor ID and DEV is the device ID. So Vendor is 8086 & Device is 27D8

Once you have the codes got to and enter them to find out what onboard device is having an issue (usually audio or NIC or something) From there you can search for a driver for the offending hardware.

Thanks for the information. The next time I am at my client's house I will follow your advise.

If you go in device manager, click on the pci simple communications controller, go in property and then go in details. You will see a code that looks like this...PCI/VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS...

VEN is the vendor ID and DEV is the device ID. So Vendor is 8086 & Device is 27D8

Once you have the codes got to this website and enter them to find out what onboard device is having an issue (usually audio or NIC or something) From there you can search for a driver for the offending hardware.

Hey All,

I wanted to follow up with the build. So far so good. The WHS 2011 is running cool and quiet. My client commented on how quiet it is running. I will follow up in a couple of weeks as files will be transferred from the workstations to the server to keep the data in a central location. All the computers and laptops have been backed up except for one computer. This computer will be upgraded to Windows 7 Pro which will take care of that issue. I am impressed on how WHS 2011 keeps tabs on each computer's windows update status. I had to update all of the computers and laptops. I setup CrashPlan on the WHS 2011 as a offsite solution.

Thanks again for everyone posted their suggestions.