RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Won't Shut Down

Michael Brown

Suddenly WHS2011 won't shut down. I've tried to shut it down by logging in to the machine itself, the console, remote desktop connection, and just pressing the power button. In all cases, it just restarts. The only way I can get it to shut down is by holding the power button. This results, during startup, whith the message that Windows did not close properly. Anyone else having this problem?

Suddenly WHS2011 won't shut down. I've tried to shut it down by logging in to the machine itself, the console, remote desktop connection, and just pressing the power button. In all cases, it just restarts. The only way I can get it to shut down is by holding the power button. This results, during startup, whith the message that Windows did not close properly. Anyone else having this problem?

No but I have seen the problem before. What software, USB, or worse yet, eSata device have you recently installed? This smells of a driver not closing upon shutdown. Launch MSCONFIG and check what is being started with system.

No but I have seen the problem before. What software, USB, or worse yet, eSata device have you recently installed? This smells of a driver not closing upon shutdown. Launch MSCONFIG and check what is being started with system.

I smell drivers as well, but I haven't loaded anything other than the RAID managment software and it was working fine after that. No USB or eSata devices attached either. The only thing I can remember happening in close proximity to the problem beginning was a Windows Update installing.

Just updated BIOS for motherboard and RAID controller, still won't shut down. Interesting thing is that, even when I tell it to shut down from the BIOS, it just restarts.

Found the following post regarding my mobo:

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t354094.html

I moved the RAID controller card from the X4 slot to the X16 slot. During startup, the system installed drivers again. Now all is well and the system shuts down. I'm curious to see the result if I move the card back to the X4 slot.

Solved. Moved the HighPoint RAID controller from the PCIx4 slot to the PCIx16 slot and the server shuts down normally. Moved the card back to the x4 slot, no shutdown, so its back to the x16 slot.

With a problem like that you should check you user manual and see what x16 and x8, etc ports are shared with others. For example I have a board that has an x16 x8 and x1 slots on it. however if you use any x1 slots it down clocks my x8 slot to x1. your issue could be something like that or it could actually be a good old resource conflict.

Solved. Moved the HighPoint RAID controller from the PCIx4 slot to the PCIx16 slot and the server shuts down normally. Moved the card back to the x4 slot, no shutdown, so its back to the x16 slot.

OK, that just sucks, but great troubleshooting on your part.

With a problem like that you should check you user manual and see what x16 and x8, etc ports are shared with others. For example I have a board that has an x16 x8 and x1 slots on it. however if you use any x1 slots it down clocks my x8 slot to x1. your issue could be something like that or it could actually be a good old resource conflict.

Hmmm, wasn't PCIe supposed to eliminate resource conflicts? Anyway, I agree, check the manuals carefully. How bout posting a question in the HighPoint forums too?