RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 137, What do you think ?

diehard

Hi,

A “Scoop De Dupe” that just wouldn’t wait for the normal publish date. You have to listen to find out but it’s about DataCore’s Drive Harmony Beta release and when it will be available for you! Do you want Drive Extender back? I’ve got the answer for you in this episode as well as tons of news on 137 and Jim beats the dead horse into a bloody pulp. Yes, I’m talking about the 2TB limit on Windows Home Server 2011. Off topic is at the end after the main show.

The 1st annual Home Server Show meetup is on! June 25th, 2011. Listen for more details and hit the forums for all the details.

I’m also using a different downloading location for this episode so hopefully you will see a speed improvement when pulling it down.

KeepVault for WHS

DriveBender for $20!

Remote Notification for Mac?

Awieco WakeonLan

Awieco coming out with hardware for WHS 2011

NewEgg motherboard talked about on 137

Windows Home Server Migration Assistant

Remote Potato

Airplay for Windows Media Center

What do you think of this weeks podcast ?

Awesome podcast as always guys! I had a question though. Why should one not use the standard windows copying functions? I heard robo copy and a few other utils mentioned and was wondering if I should recopy my data. I copying it all over my network just by drag and dropping in from folder to folder. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Drag and drop is not efficient or reliable.

As I mentioned on the podcast, lets say you select a bunch of files by hilighting them, then drag that over to a folder, it will tell you how long it will take. But if you then hilight a bunch more folders to drag over, your copying time will increase extraordinarly high. It's like files are now bumping into each other to copy over and it usually takes a long time.

Also, if for some reason the copy quits, you have no idea what got copied over and you have to investigate or select all the files again.

If you have just a few minutes worth of files, drag and drop is fine. But if your coping hours worth, it's risky.

If the transfer completes without issue I should be find though correct? I will look into those programs that jim and you had mentioned during the podcast for future large file transfers, thanx!

If the transfer completes without issue I should be find though correct? I will look into those programs that jim and you had mentioned during the podcast for future large file transfers, thanx!

My vote is for RoboCopy. The syntax is a little quirky at first, but the program is rock solid and will keep trying till it gets the file(s) copied. Of course, you can limit how hard it will try so it doesn't keep trying 1 file forever. It's a fantastic little utility; well worth learning the syntax.

I thought Dave said he was no longer going to give keepvault free pub. He didn't make it a week unless they are now supporting the show. He never came out and said they were. At least not that I recall.

Definately robocopy can easily script it, will skip files that is already finds and retry when needed. It also copies security rights over. We use it when migrating file servers to sync the servers for the bulk tranfer then use Windows Distrubted Files System for the live sync to the back up server. There are some gui front ends for robocopy but rather stick with the command lines.

Favorite part was actually hearing my name mentioned on air :P

Hi,

... and Jim beats the dead horse into a bloody pulp. Yes, I’m talking about the 2TB limit on Windows Home Server 2011. Off topic is at the end after the main show.

The 1st annual Home Server Show meetup is on! June 25th, 2011. Listen for more details and hit the forums for all the details.

I thought Jim had some good points -- there really should be a pull-down backup menu where you could allocate differrent shares to be backed up to different backup drives and then just execute the whole list at once -- preferably on some type of automated schedule. An Add-in waiting to happen!!

The meet-up sounds pretty exciting -- something must be going on up in Wisconsin -- a lot of hotels are booked up already!

Over-all really enjoyed to podcast. Thanks for your hard work!

Yeah why is Wisconson so booked, The Holiday Inn was full the first night it was mentioned as a location figured the MVPs had to reserve it for the secret Skypersoft and DroboVault bigwigs :)

Yeah why is Wisconson so booked, The Holiday Inn was full the first night it was mentioned as a location figured the MVPs had to reserve it for the secret Skypersoft and DroboVault bigwigs :)

There's still some openings in Rockford :)