RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How To Not Troubleshoot Your v1 Box

awraynor

My Core i3 540 build was working pretty good. Just finished ripping 400 DVD's by the way.

Yesterday the console and MyMovies connector couldn't connect. So I:

1. Hooked up a monitor and saw it was stuck in a boot loop.

2. Set the BIOS to safe default

3. Got a little overzealous with the server recovery software

4. Without the mandatory drivers that Jim mentioned

5. Booted into a live Ubuntu environment to recover that folder

6. To see in Ubuntu the primary drive had an imminent driver failure, doh!

7. Going to BB in the AM to get a replacement 2 TB OS drive.

8. The failed drive was the 1.5 TB Seagate that came with my 495 that is less than 2 years old.

Didn't want it to go to waste so I repurposed it. That box continues to haunt me still :angry:

9. Here's hoping I can clone that drive onto the new one.

Will there be any issue cloning the OS drive from a 1.5TB to a 2TB drive?

I plan on this 2TB green drive.

Under the reviews a number of people had early failures, any comments?

I did have an issue once when I changed something in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI ( or the other way around, not sure ) and it kept rebooting :angry: changed it back and I was good to go :lol:

I did have an issue once when I changed something in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI ( or the other way around, not sure ) and it kept rebooting :angry: changed it back and I was good to go :lol:

Yes, from IDE to AHCI on the OS drive will cause continuous rebooting if the OS does not have the AHCI drivers installed (and reg fix depending on OS.)

I've tried IDE and AHCI with no improvement. It appears the OS drive is "imminently failing",

the clicking sound seems to validate that.

I have seen a lot of ways to replace/rebuild with differing opinions on their effectiveness.

Clonezilla fails when trying to clone the original seagate 1.5 TB to the new 2TB WD drive.

I can copy files off of the old drive with Ubuntu, but a cloned drive would obviously make

things easier.

Is there a best way to do a server reinstall on the new drive, clone the old one or other suggestion?

I don't care about the backups, but do want to preserve my shares if possible?

If I can get my shares copied to an external I will reinstall anyway due to some funkiness that

MyMovies caused recently.

Edited by awraynor

I would copy the data off if possible with Ubuntu and be done with this drive. Drives that click will eventually stop for good. However, if you'd like to preserve everything and if you have the space, I would P2V (cold disk boot convert) that drive into VMware workstation or an ESXi build if you had that laying around. (Of course you would need the space to pull that much into the VM). I suppose you could use Virtual PC if you'd like. For me, I would just be looking to save the data and rebuild since you were having issues.

Now that you've brought your issue to the forums, I'm thinking about testing this very same scenario.

Thank goodness for hot swappable drives. I am copying off my data to external drives now,

at least the media/such that I don't have on DVD's etc.

I have read that I can:

1. Leave the 2 data drives in place.

2. Do a server recovery install on the new system drive

3. Let it rebuild itself

4. Then reattach the old OS drive and try to copy files over if it will work okay

Does this approach sound reasonable? I should have all the data from my shares on external.

I did the server recovery and surprisingly my shares appear to be intact. The issue

however are my client backups. The only ones remaining were the incomplete or failed ones.

I continue to receive an error relating to a backup database error, even after deleting

all the failed backups and running the database repair twice.

As soon as I guarantee my shares are backed up to external I am going to

install a fresh copy of v1 or move to 2011? Guess I have the next few days to think it over?