RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New WHS 2011 build

yodafett

Ok so my project D525 which became my home server 2011 is ok for about 80% of what I want it for (mainly doc and mp3 storage no streaming) as well as PC backups and running a couple websites. However after trying to put Sharepoint Essentials on it, it really began to crawl so decided to start looking for parts for a update. I wanted to stay on ITX because I love the idea of a compact server. With the D525 I had a mirrored 1.5TB for the main storage plus a iSCSI connection into my openfiler SAN/NAS for holding of my DVDs. I also had a pata dvd drive.

Now have:

Zotac H67-ITX

I3 2100 (able to get both at Fry's with a price match for 234)

8GB of Corsair 1333 RAM

Will be moving the 2 1.5TB drives over to the new PC as well as probably reusing the apex mi-08 case.

Would like to move actually to 2 250GB seagate momentus drives in a icy dock, plus 4 2TB drives at one point in a raid 5 then use the openfiler SAN for backups local. I also plan to put a SAS controller in the PCIx slot and borrow an extra 15 drive enclosure for some testing I want to do with some VMs

Ok so my project D525 which became my home server 2011 is ok for about 80% of what I want it for (mainly doc and mp3 storage no streaming) as well as PC backups and running a couple websites. However after trying to put Sharepoint Essentials on it, it really began to crawl so decided to start looking for parts for a update. I wanted to stay on ITX because I love the idea of a compact server. With the D525 I had a mirrored 1.5TB for the main storage plus a iSCSI connection into my openfiler SAN/NAS for holding of my DVDs. I also had a pata dvd drive.

Now have:

Zotac H67-ITX

I3 2100 (able to get both at Fry's with a price match for 234)

8GB of Corsair 1333 RAM

Will be moving the 2 1.5TB drives over to the new PC as well as probably reusing the apex mi-08 case.

Would like to move actually to 2 250GB seagate momentus drives in a icy dock, plus 4 2TB drives at one point in a raid 5 then use the openfiler SAN for backups local. I also plan to put a SAS controller in the PCIx slot and borrow an extra 15 drive enclosure for some testing I want to do with some VMs

Sound like you have your work cut out. Great system, I have the same processor with a different board and it works great. Good luck.

Yeah, got the server back online last night and already have restored the Data Volumes as well as have gotten Sharepoint Foundations up and running to start using it as a DMS system for my stepson's medical stuff.

Scary part for me is the fact when I did a burn in on the chip with Windows 7 and its WEI score was a 7.1 for Intel's budget chip while my main PC core2quard is only a 7.4