RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
haydanbarry

Windows Media Center in WHS 2011

haydanbarry

I just received my copy of WHS 2011 and after installing it I realized I can't find Windows Media Center anywhere. Is it true that WMC is not part of WHS 2011? The only reason I bought this was so I could run WHS on my HTPC and have everything on the same box and be able to access the server remotely and watch TV (via HDMI) at the same time with multiple users logged in simultaneously. I'll go back to running Win7 on my HTPC instead if this is true. What's the point of even having WHS if it can't natively run WMC?

Barry

gcoupe

Yes, it is true than WMC is not part of WHS 2011. This was definitively stated back in November last year by Michael Leworthy, Senior Product Manager on the WHS 2011 team. Listen to the Q&A section (at the end) of this presentation:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/Europe/2010/WSV302-LNC

Edited by gcoupe

haydanbarry

Wow... thanks for the confirmation... I can't believe that Microsoft would do this... instead of making things simple, they purposely make it difficult...

Currently I have a Win 7 Pro box with a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner card and I can record two shows simultaneously from the basic cable coax cable plugged into the card. With WHS, how am I supposed to get the Recorded TV content onto the server? In order for this to work, I'd have to have 1 computer doing nothing but record TV and then the server to store the Recorded TV. Really?! Why do we have quad-core computers with 8GB of RAM (easily capable of recording video and displaying it and serving it) but software that is designed so you have to have 2 separate boxes to accomplish this. I really hope they come out with an update for WHS to include WMC in the future, otherwise it makes the investment and time to use WHS not worth the effort.

ikon

Wow... thanks for the confirmation... I can't believe that Microsoft would do this... instead of making things simple, they purposely make it difficult...

Currently I have a Win 7 Pro box with a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner card and I can record two shows simultaneously from the basic cable coax cable plugged into the card. With WHS, how am I supposed to get the Recorded TV content onto the server? In order for this to work, I'd have to have 1 computer doing nothing but record TV and then the server to store the Recorded TV. Really?! Why do we have quad-core computers with 8GB of RAM (easily capable of recording video and displaying it and serving it) but software that is designed so you have to have 2 separate boxes to accomplish this. I really hope they come out with an update for WHS to include WMC in the future, otherwise it makes the investment and time to use WHS not worth the effort.

WMC wasn't part of v1 either, so I'm not sure why you would expect it in 2011.

usacomp2k3

Wherever you got that information they were ill-informed. MediaCenter was never going to be part of WHS other than a pipe-dream.

cskenney

Install SageTV7 on your WHS2011 and you will have what you desire.

diehard

If you use a powerful computer, you could try virtualization and add Windows 7 with Media Center as a VM. But this requires more experience.

usacomp2k3
Install SageTV7 on your WHS2011 and you will have what you desire.

Very true. And then get an HD300 for each TV.