RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P67 Build

ZA_Tigger

Hi Guys

I have just completed my new build for my home pc, and listening to you guys over the last 40 odd episodes the following went into the box

1. Asus P67 Sabertooth B3 Rev. (I was considering the new Z68 but I didn't like the fact that the ASUS boards available here in South Africa had Display connectors at the back and I never transcode Video and SSD Caching is a non issue I think if your going to run SSD's as your primary drives anyway in the long term)

2. Intel 2600k OC to 4.5 GHZ

3. Lian Li V2010

4. 4GB Corsair Vengeance Ram (need to go to 8GB but Budget ran out :-) )

5. Antec Quattro 850W PSU

6. Geforce GTX 570

7. Caviar Black 1TB as the primary drive, I sacrificed my SSD Force 2 60GB and put it into my media center PC.

Everything works great except I am getting this annoying start-up procedure where the system comes up for 2s then dies and then boots fine? Any ideas around this?

Cheers

Andrew

Guest no-control

Nice build. yeah the cold boot issue (boots dies then boots) is something I have as well. I had it on my original board then a UEFI update fixed it. Then I replaced it with my B3 board and same issue. I haven't checked to see if there is a UEFI update that addresses this or not. Might want to go to Asus's site and see what the latest greatest fixes. I don't reboot my machine often enough for it to be an issue.

Nice build. yeah the cold boot issue (boots dies then boots) is something I have as well. I had it on my original board then a UEFI update fixed it. Then I replaced it with my B3 board and same issue. I haven't checked to see if there is a UEFI update that addresses this or not. Might want to go to Asus's site and see what the latest greatest fixes. I don't reboot my machine often enough for it to be an issue.

I have a P8P67-M (B3) http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2086-finally-starting-new-main-desktop-computer-build/page__st__20 in my new desktop. It isn't doing that - wonder what the difference is?

Hi Again,

My OS drive at the moment is a seagate 500GB 7200RPM drive and I just found a WD 500GB lying in a cupboard. Is it worthwhile setting up raid 1 with these 2 drives for my os? And can I do it after the installation of the OS?

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Again,

My OS drive at the moment is a seagate 500GB 7200RPM drive and I just found a WD 500GB lying in a cupboard. Is it worthwhile setting up raid 1 with these 2 drives for my os? And can I do it after the installation of the OS?

Thanks

Andrew

I can't claim to be up on all the latest capabilities of RAID but you couldn't do this in the past, and I suspect you still can't. You can make a RAID 1 alright, but it will destroy your data. However, others may know of boards that can do it.

Guest no-control

You can setup the mirror in the OS.

Go to Disk management snapin right click both drives convert to dynamic and then select the drives to mirror.

If you try to do it using the motherboards RAID controller you will indeed wipe out the disk. Which would be needed since your motherboard's efi settings are set to AHCI by default not RAID. this requires a reinstall of the OS.

There is no performance hit using the OS for mirrors over the on board controller.

You can setup the mirror in the OS.

Go to Disk management snapin right click both drives convert to dynamic and then select the drives to mirror.

If you try to do it using the motherboards RAID controller you will indeed wipe out the disk. Which would be needed since your motherboard's efi settings are set to AHCI by default not RAID. this requires a reinstall of the OS.

There is no performance hit using the OS for mirrors over the on board controller.

nice clarification.

nice clarification.

It is also easier to remove and break the mirror it you want to make changes.