RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Movies on WHS but what format??

PINKTULIP

Hi I have installed My Movies on my WHS, and i am not sure what is the best format to rip to. I am also running Orb on my server and intend using this as the main media server.

In the living room i have a D-Link DSM320 media server which connects to Orb no probs, but the video are very pixelated when playing.

I am also running Orb through a browser on my laptop which is configured for .WMV files, which plays OK, but the screen size is tiny, when i play full screen i get the same blocky look.

I dont have Media Centre installed on any machines, and i really would like a workable solution to play my DVD collection through my D-Link in the lounge or my laptop when i fancy an early night and watching an episode of '24' in bed.

BTW the D-link in the lounge is hooked up via 100Mb Ethernet through a switch to the WHS.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

The My Movies program suggests you use folder structures for DVD and iso images for Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Of course that is with the assumption you will use My Movies for streaming. For your set up, I think you need to see what format works with the DSM320. I read positive things about the MKV container if your hardware supports it.

as a mymovies mod i can tell you what he says is correct about formats, dvd is folder and blu-ray and hd is iso, thats our recommendation.

for your exact setup though may be another matter, feel free to check wiki for answers or ask in forum

Let me start by saying that I'm not positive about this but My Movies for WHS is basically an addin version of the My Movies server. You still need a My Movies client in order to use the application interface and that only works in Windows Media Center. Basically from what I understand of your set up you are using My Movies for the collection management aspect only (unless you run Media Center on the laptop and use the My Movies client). So what I'm saying is that My Movies is not really part of this equation for the playback issues on the DSM320.

The DSM320 is a UPnP streaming device that can access your files on networked PC's/WHS/NAS. I didn't see anything on D-Link's site saying it supports ISO's or VOB's (or MKV's for that matter) so that won't work for play back on the DSM320. You didn't say how your laptop connects. If it's wireless you can try connecting it via a wired connection just to test the playback of wired vs. wireless.

Finally I would try and take Orb out of the picture and test playback that way as well. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

It doesn't seem to support VOB, so I would try putting TVersity on your WHS and using it to stream via UPnP (like Orb does, but sometimes you get different results from similar programs).

If you can't put your movies in a MKV container, you're probably stuck with some mpeg2/divx variant.

Thanks guys,

I think the way forward for me is to ditch the Dlink DSM and get sorted with an HTPC, but where to start?

I like the look of the Acer Aspire 3600 or the new Dell Zino (a bit more pricey). Any suggestions or reccomendation are much appreciated.

Very keen on HD as i want to take advantage of the 1080p 42" screen in the living room and i can connect to the WHS over 100Mb Ethernet.

Just as an aside, i know most of the guys in the forum here are US based, but i would love to find out if there is a way of putting a sattellite receiver card into a Media centre PC, as i currently have a SKY+ HD box but it bugs me intensly that i cannot get any of the media of that box and onto my network or iphone etc. I have a quad LNB on my dish so i can take a further 2 feeds directly from the dish.

Heres hoping

Oh by the way the living room solution has to be simple to use or this will not get passed the accounts dept and will end up with a WAF Value of Zero.

I rip with MyMovies to a video_ts file and mpeg2 file. I also use MM on my media center which picks up the video_ts file and plays the dvd's perfectly. I would do a one-off rip trying the different ways MM allows you to rip and see what works best for you. If whatever you are using will recognize an ISO, video_ts, or MPEG file then you don't absolutely need the MM client on a media center.

I would certainly choose the htpc over the others but i'm just biased that way. It might be easier for you to get WAF with a popcorn hour or something of that sort but sounds like your headed towards the htpc solution. I recommend MM on media center. It has a slick interface. My TivoCenter build has won acceptance but it's had a couple of hiccups that has caused a flurry of activity in the accounting department.

Just a quick comment on the Popcorn Hour. My understanding is that while it is a really great device that can handle a lot it's a tinkerer's box. So if ease of use is high on the list the Popcorn Hour might not be a choice for you. I agree with Dave though MCE on an HTPC is a great choice.

You might want to listen to Adam Thursby and Josh Pollard on Ent. 2.0 for more MCE ideas at: http://thedigitalmediazone.com/ and Ian Dixon on the Media Center Show here: http://thedigitallifestyle.com/cs/

My two cents. I have a popcorn A110, an HDX 1000, and two HTPC's equipted to play everything I have through media center all from the WHS. Unless you want meta data (I prefer the list views of the WMC), then I would stay away from MyMovies as it is a resource hog and suggest you use ripping tools that allow you to control how you rip the movies and rip them directly to the server. MyMovies for WHS does not allow you strip the "stuff" out of the movies before you rip them slightly increasing the size needed to store them. I use tsMuxer to rip blue rays and I rip to a "blue ray disk" format (meaning folders) as this allows for full menus if you want them, chapter support, resume playback, and allows me to extract only the movie which is all I want. MKV's (makeMKV.com) are great for the popcorn but will not support chapters. One inexpensive consideration is the WD live which works well with MKV's, supports chapters, and you can use ISO for DVD.

As for DVD's, I rip to ts folders using recode. All blue ray and dvd movies list nicely and coexist in my WMC. To cut to chase, go for HTPC/WHS if you can, and if budget is a problem, use a WD live with MKV and ISO for DVD. I have a short write up on my site on the WD and the popcorn.

One last comment. "If" you want to play native blue ray as I do with lossless audio, you will need Arcsoft Total Media Theater, an Asus HDAV passthrough sound card (until they support the new H55 intel motherboards), and an HDMI receiver, as well as and a network capable of 40-50 mb/sec. If you plan on using a WD or other streaming device (except popcorn) then you will have to down convert or make sure you include the audio tracks to AC3 5.1 so they can play correctly which still sounds great. If you plan on using a popcorn, then you can play you MKV with no compression, and full HD sound to your reciever.