RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dennis Heinle

Restore or Reload?

Restore or Reload?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. When a client HD fails what do you do?

• Restore from WHS and keep going like nothing happened
    • Reload the OS, Apps, Updates and restore data

Dennis Heinle

I am trying to decide if I really need a WHS or not. I've never had one and had been waiting for 2011 to come out before I built a box. The most intriguing feature I see is the image based backups of PC's. Our main PC is an iMac and I am still not really confident that Microsoft has the client figured out for Mac's. I have several win7 laptops for the kids and a SageTv setup for the house.

So my question is this. How many people restore a PC from a failed hard drive and keep going?

I usually rebuild these machines about every 18 months anyways so by the time one fails, I would probably do a fresh OS install, update all the apps and just restore data.

It sounds like a lot of people use the image based backups for testing and breaking things, but how many people really just restore to a new drive and carry on?

I can use Crashplan or robocopy or something in the house to backup data to my server/sagetv box.

Thanks for the input.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have done too many restores to count. All do to some software I loaded and it mest something up and an uninstall or a W7 system restore didn't correct it. It is a very handy tool to have.

Since beginning to use WHS, I haven't done an annual rebuild in at least four years. Now the only time I rebuild is when something is broke (onother words, never because the restore is flawless).

ikon

I am trying to decide if I really need a WHS or not. I've never had one and had been waiting for 2011 to come out before I built a box. The most intriguing feature I see is the image based backups of PC's. Our main PC is an iMac and I am still not really confident that Microsoft has the client figured out for Mac's. I have several win7 laptops for the kids and a SageTv setup for the house.

So my question is this. How many people restore a PC from a failed hard drive and keep going?

I usually rebuild these machines about every 18 months anyways so by the time one fails, I would probably do a fresh OS install, update all the apps and just restore data.

It sounds like a lot of people use the image based backups for testing and breaking things, but how many people really just restore to a new drive and carry on?

I can use Crashplan or robocopy or something in the house to backup data to my server/sagetv box.

Thanks for the input.

I think you have a problem with your pole question. I doubt anyone on this forum would "restore and carry on like nothing happend" if a hard drive fails. They would try to establish whether the drive truly did fail of if something else happened. If it truly is dead, they would replace it and restore. Perhaps you're thinking replacement of the drive is implicit in the question; I'm not reading it that way though.

When you rebuild these machines, are you building new machines, changing some components, or simply re-installing the OS and programs to 'freshen' up the system (speed it up, clean out crud, etc.)? If you're not changing components at all, or only minor components, then WHS could you help you a lot by letting you keep a baseline image of each system that has the OS and applications already installed, licensied, activated, etc. You could restore every 18 months, or even more often if you like, from that baseline image and save yourself a ton of time.

Pisces215

I used to think that way until I put together a WHS. The best part I like is that if I ever have to restore a machine it is very simple and fast. Plus I have crash plan backing all my files to the cloud as extra protection. I love it because sometimes I run something on a production machine and I really should not of ran it so I immediately shut it down and restore from the last backup on the WHS

I will never get rid of it because it makes things so much easier.