CaptainKirk

WHS 2011 Clients not Backing Up

22 posts in this topic

My system has 3 PC's so far with WHS 2011 client software installed. 2 out of the 3 show as offline while on and have not had a successful backup yet(2 weeks running). When I go into Services and turn on the WHS services needed the computer shows as online and a manual backup can be started. The backups do not finish and this morning the services are off again (showing offline again) even though the computers have been running all night. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the client software with the same results. All of the services that are not running are set to start "Automatically" and should continue to run. Any help would be appreciated.

My system has 3 PC's so far with WHS 2011 client software installed. 2 out of the 3 show as offline while on and have not had a successful backup yet(2 weeks running). When I go into Services and turn on the WHS services needed the computer shows as online and a manual backup can be started. The backups do not finish and this morning the services are off again (showing offline again) even though the computers have been running all night. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the client software with the same results. All of the services that are not running are set to start "Automatically" and should continue to run. Any help would be appreciated.

If Captain Kirk can't figure it out, how are we mere ensigns supposed to help? :D

Seriously though, not sure what's going on there. I assume the services you mention are on the server? Have you checked event viewer to see when the services turn off, and the reason? Might be a place to start.

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall the connector? If that doesn't work I would reinstall WHS2011.

Have you tried to uninstall and then reinstall the connector? If that doesn't work I would reinstall WHS2011.

I thought he was referring to the connector when he said 'client software'.

I thought he was referring to the connector when he said 'client software'.

Same here.

Same here.

oh. Was wondering cause he did say he's uninstalled/reinstalled the client SW.

oh. Was wondering cause he did say he's uninstalled/reinstalled the client SW.

Not sure if I completely missed that or if when I read it I thought he said rebooted his server. Who knows?

It may be different in 2011, but I frequently had this kind of error if I plugged in and

then unplugged an external drive? If it expected it to be there and it wasn't the

backup would start, yet fail every time. I would then have to configure the backup

to exclude drives that were no longer present.

It may be different in 2011, but I frequently had this kind of error if I plugged in and

then unplugged an external drive? If it expected it to be there and it wasn't the

backup would start, yet fail every time. I would then have to configure the backup

to exclude drives that were no longer present.

According to the online help for Windows Home Server 2011, it is possible to rotate external backup drives: “You can use multiple external storage drives for backups, and you can rotate the drives between onsite and offsite storage locations. This can improve your disaster preparedness planning by helping you recover your data if physical damage occurs to the hardware onsite”.

Mind you, it's not working for me...

nice writeup on your site gcoupe. B)