RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Expanding HP EX495 Storage

Mike

I'm running an HP EX495 WHS with 4 1.5TB internal disc drives. I've been doing a lot of ripping lately and my drives are nearly full. I'm looking for an external 4 bay e-sata enclosure and was wondering if anyone knows of a good one. I'm looking at using 2TB drives in the e-sata box. What type of drives are others using, most generally, 5400 rpm or 7200 rpm? Thanks.

/Mike Biel

For me, choice 1 is WD (EADS for v1) and second choice is Samsung. The rest I will not put in server.

I have a EX49x and I use an IcyDock enclosure, see my signature. Mine is 4 bay, and I use the esata connection for faster speeds and I can usee the SMART data, if you use a USB enclosure you cannot get SMART data.

Since the EX49x boxes support a 5 drive multi bay enclosure, I would suggest going with a 5 bay box. SansDigital also makes one of these.

With my setup , I use all the drives in my MediaSmart box as part of the pool and keep the non pooled backup drives in the esata enclosure so I can turn if off when not in use, since the backup process is manual.

;)

Thanks pcdoc and diehard for the information. I've looked at the quad bay Icy Dock enclosure, but it's a bit pricey. I'll look a little closer at the Sans Digital 5 bay and see if that will work. The price is much better, but let read some reviews and see.

/Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I have a EX49x and I use an IcyDock enclosure, see my signature. Mine is 4 bay, and I use the esata connection for faster speeds and I can usee the SMART data, if you use a USB enclosure you cannot get SMART data.

Since the EX49x boxes support a 5 drive multi bay enclosure, I would suggest going with a 5 bay box. SansDigital also makes one of these.

With my setup , I use all the drives in my MediaSmart box as part of the pool and keep the non pooled backup drives in the esata enclosure so I can turn if off when not in use, since the backup process is manual.

;)

diehard: Which SansDigital enclosure are you referring to? Thanks.

/Mike Biel

This one from Rosewill is on special now, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132015&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4171025&SID=1mwbl3ni486h6

Read this post http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9186&p=82987&hilit=sans+digital+esata#p82987

some folks are having issues with the Ex49x series seeing the 5th drive as a pooled drive.

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/forum/thread/17284/Sans-Digital-TR8U-or-TR5UT-Recommendations/

MediaSonic might be a good choice also. Sorry I don't have any experiences with these boxes.