RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Well I am going to switch over . . .

c0op3r

I have been listening to the PoDCast for WHS (and of course BYOB) but I am always realllllly behind, like months, but anyway, I got a Technet subscription and have decide to switch over to WHS2011. One of the main reasons is the Drive Bender type add-ons.

I am currently in the process of removing drives from the pool of the WHSv1 box.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this or caveats?

I have 2 boxes that are the same MB, RAM and Processor so soon as I can get this unit down to one of 2 drives, I will swap the Machine (WHS1) over to the box that holds less physical drives, and get that restarted, once that's up, I will setup the Larger Physical Box to WHS2011 (yes full 64 OS!)

I will have to transfer the last of the data over via Gigabit Network, oh my switch is going to hate me!

Box will ultimately have:

Intel Core2Quad

4 Gig RAM

250 Gig Seagate Barracuda OS Drive (7200 RPM)

(7) WD Grean 2TB Drives (unfortunately a mix of EARS and EADS)

So talk to me.

I have one suggestion, do not port your data over to 2011 until you have at least some time with drive bender or whatever software solution you decide. There are still many unknowns and you should be sure it works with your hardware before the commitment. I am not saying anything bad about Drive Bender or similar solutions only that these are new products and you proceed with caution. Personally I would go with a hardware solution as most software solutions are mirror or stripe but that just me. Good luck which ever way you go.

I have one suggestion, do not port your data over to 2011 until you have at least some time with drive bender or whatever software solution you decide. There are still many unknowns and you should be sure it works with your hardware before the commitment. I am not saying anything bad about Drive Bender or similar solutions only that these are new products and you proceed with caution. Personally I would go with a hardware solution as most software solutions are mirror or stripe but that just me. Good luck which ever way you go.

I agree with everything except the going with the hardware solution. I think you should copy your data to the new sever but continue using the old one for your data and backups. I would run the new server for at least three months and copy data, move data, etc. Ensure you can access your data and nothing has been loss, corrupted, etc. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I bet your data is worth it.