RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD's for XP

Dennis Heinle

Hello all, we have a bunch of older machines at work that appear to have hard drives that are going bad. Usually replacing the hard drive with a new one and ghosting the drive improves performance. I'd like to suggest we try some SSD's but all these machines are XP with no immediate plans to upgrade to 7. Will I get the performance improvement I keep hearing about? I thought XP was not optimized for SSD's and it really wasn't worth it. If we get an SSD do we need to do a fresh install or can we just clone the drive?

Thanks for the input.

Hello all, we have a bunch of older machines at work that appear to have hard drives that are going bad. Usually replacing the hard drive with a new one and ghosting the drive improves performance. I'd like to suggest we try some SSD's but all these machines are XP with no immediate plans to upgrade to 7. Will I get the performance improvement I keep hearing about? I thought XP was not optimized for SSD's and it really wasn't worth it. If we get an SSD do we need to do a fresh install or can we just clone the drive?

Thanks for the input.

The short answer is yes/no. You will get the performance increase for awhile. There is no trim support in XP therefore SSD maintenance is non existent so you will have use clean up utilities manually to keep the performance up. The best way so that you can set AHCI is to do a clean install as that will give you the best results. My suggestion is to do a clean install of Win 7 if you are going to go through all that though. I would not do a clean install of XP. Either try the clone and see what happens and do the manual maintenance, or do a clean install of Win 7 and be much happier with it. That is my suggestion.

Thanks for the response. The answer is not what I wanted, but it was what I was expecting. I'd love to move them to windows 7 but that already got shot down this fiscal year. Looks like I will get some blue drives and clone them over.

Thanks

Dennis

It really depends on the size of the drives needed as SSDs are expensive. A 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 costs $120 off of Amazon, but that might be either too little space or cost too much if you're replacing quite a number. Another factor is the age of the hardware which is running in these machines. Anything older than a Core 2 Duo really isn't worth it, as you should just buy new systems. Also, they should have at LEAST 2GB of RAM, if not 4GB.

Regardless, I think you know if/when it's going to be feasible to have these machines upgraded. At the very least, any SSD that you buy can be moved into a different system and get more life there.

Edited by dagamer34